Fifty-Six

Louis insisted on driving to the airport. I didn't argue too much since it was like two hours away, plus I needed to call Niall and the bakery.

I decided on the bakery first, closing my eyes. “This is The Fabulous Bakers. How can I help you?”

“Hey, Amanda, it's Harry. Is Sarah there?”

“Yeah, just a second.” 

In less than thirty seconds, Sarah was on the phone. “Hey H. What's up, love?”

“This is really short notice and I apologize, but I had a family emergency and I won't be able to come in for a while.” I chewed on my lip, rubbing my forehead. 

“Oh, no dear. Alright, just keep me updated. I'll keep you in my prayers,” she said sweetly. 

“I will. Thank you and I'm sorry-”

“You can't control this stuff. It's out of your hands. We'll see you soon.”

We hung up then I dialled Niall, taking Louis’s hand that was just sitting in the center console. 

“Where are you?” Niall asked as soon as he picked up.

“On my way to the airport with Lou.”

“Wait, what the fuck happened? He wouldn't just ditch the middle of the school day to randomly take you to Paris.”

I glanced at Louis. He nodded for me to tell him, even when I asked if he was sure. “Louis’ mom is in the hospital.”

“Oh. Oh fuck,” Niall said. “Is she okay? Like obviously she's not or you wouldn't be going-”

“No, it's not,” I said. I squeezed Louis’ hand. “I just wanted to let you know so you weren't freaking out.”

“Are you gonna call your parents?” Niall asked slowly. I didn't respond, and I heard him sigh. “Text them, Harry.”

“Why? So I can get lectured? I get that he's sorry, but nothing will undo that month. Nothing.” I almost pulled my hand back to feel my head, but resisted. 

I heard Niall sigh again. “They lost-”

“Don't do this Niall. Why the hell are you suddenly on their side?” I gripped my phone tighter so it wouldn't be Louis’ hand instead being squeezed to death.  “They chose to push me away. I tried to keep us together, but Gemma was the only one out of us they cared about.”

“Harry-”

“I'm not doing this. Not now.” I hung up the phone, which fell straight into my lap. 

“What's going on, love?” Louis asked, his thumb moving slowly over my hand. 

“Niall's suddenly on my parents side about everything in February. I know they lost Gemma, but they chose to keep me at a distance then. I don't wish they would have suffocated me, but still. Sorry, this doesn't even matter.”

“Yes, it does,” Louis said. “I need some distractions. It's fine.”

“I just don't get it. I blacked out, I woke up in a hospital with Niall covered in blood that had come from me, saying my dad went too far, and now he's suddenly trying to get me to call them. I don't get how he flipped so easily.” I sighed. “Or am I being stupid? I don't feel like I am, but if I am, tell me.”

“I don't think you are. It's definitely weird he's  on their side. Maybe they talked to him, and they’re just trying-”

“If they can talk to him, then they can talk to him to figure out what's going on. Not like they've checked on me.” I let go of his hand to rub my face with both. “Okay, I'm being dramatic. But still, if they really wanted to talk to me, they would try me, and not him.”

“Yeah,” Louis agreed. 

I grabbed my phone from my lap that had been ringing on since the beginning of the conversation.

Niall:

Dude come on

They don't want to lose you too

“Then they should have thought about it,” I mumbled. 

Before I shut my phone off, a call from my mom came in. I rolled my eyes but answered it. “Hello?”

“You can't just take off during school. You're eighteen, Harry. Your boyfriend isn't worth that. You need to be worried about you and-”

“”I’m eighteen and I’m not living at home either. You guys aren’t that worried about me if you’re having Niall do everything, now are you?” I growled into the phone. “Don’t even try the whole I know what’s best for you bullshit either. I don’t want to hear it.” I hung up, biting my lip and bouncing my fist off my leg a little harder than normal. “I swear to God, Niall,” I groaned when his ringtone went off. “What?”

“What the hell has gotten into you?”

“So you're my dad now?” I chuckled dryly. “What the hell has gotten into you?” I snapped back.

“Maybe some common fucking sense for once! They're trying, Har.”

“Yeah, calling me and telling me that although I'm eighteen and I don't live with them that I can't go with my boyfriend is really trying.  I'll make sure that I thank them for the fucking effort next time.”

“Just because you're dating a twenty-six year old does not mean -”

“What does that have to do with a fucking thing! I'm sorry my dad choked me to the point I should have went to the hospital but didn't, then did God knows what and I wake up in the fucking hospital a week later. I'm sorry you fucking got dragged into it.”

“Give me your phone,” Louis instructed.  I didn’t even hesitate in setting the device in his hand. He hung it up and put it where I couldn't reach it. “Hand.”

I laced our fingers.  “I can't believe…” I shook my head. “You don't need to be dealing with this.”

“But it's fine, Haz.” Louis pulled over and leaned over to kiss me. “I hate getting stuck in my head. Everything festers and it just keeps getting worse the longer I'm there.”

I had my hand on his cheek, moving my thumb back and forth. I hated it too. Being in your head hardly ever makes things better. Not only were we dealing with the fact Louis’ mom was dying, now we had to throw in my family drama to top it off. It was perfect.