chapter 11 : Greater Value's What Inside

Marylin POV

I watched as Jacob, the tallest member of Sam's team, approached the counter.

"What can I get you?" I heard the discouraging voice of the girl dressed in a dirty apron.

"I'll take... 13 cocktails," Jacob answered brightly, probably showing his white teeth in a disarming smile.

"Flavors?" the girl started chewing gum more intensely.

"Hmmm..." Jacob looked at the table of offers. "3 banana-, 3 coconut-, 4 raspberry-, 2 strawberry- and 1 mango-flavored, please."

"Sure. Please, take one of the tables and wait for about five minutes," the girl from behind the counter said in a bored tone and went to the facilities.

"We have to wait 5 minutes," said Jacob, returning to us.

He sat on one of the couches and put his feet on the table. He was looking at his waterproof watch every now and then, and at the bar, impatiently waiting for the unpleasant bartender to come out with our cocktails. Once, his eyes fell on me and he gave me his most wonderful smile.

"This girl behind the counter is strange," Rita spoke up, glaring at her. "Somewhat bored and discouraging."

"I know her," replied Sara. "Laura Stink. I met her a few years ago in a language course. I don't know why she signed up for it. All she was doing there was sleeping on the desk."

"Excuse me?!" we suddenly heard the bored bartender. "Come get your cocktails."

Sam stood up lazily from the comfortable couch and reluctantly went for the drinks. Kate went a moment after him, but she didn't hurry to reach the bar. And it was quite close, because you could clearly hear the entire conversation from the couch.

"Three-two fifty, please."

Here the girl tried to smile sincerely, but it was above her abilities; her face twisted in a strange grimace. She looked really funny, not to say hilarious. Instead of a bar, she should work in a circus. Or in a cabaret.

Sam pulled a wallet out of my purse, where I left my fifty zloty banknote and my old picture. It was only when he took it out carefully and looked at it more closely that I realized he probably shouldn't see it. It was too late to stop him anyway. I guess he already guessed that in the photo it was me with my grandmother and mother (who shortly before taking the picture got pregnant with my brother, Maxim). We were all smiling, it was a beautiful day. It's a pity that Grandma is dead now.

"32 zlotys 50," Laura reminded us of her existence.

"Yeah, yeah," Sam, clearly confused, hid the photo back in the wallet and handed her the banknote.

I laughed softly. Her face looked comical again. As if she was afraid of giving us the change. It's a pity that I didn't have only a hundred note in my wallet.

"Don't you have anything smaller?" she asked him hopefully, and when he shook his head, she added in a pleading tone, "What would be the change?"

"Sis, I'm not a cashier. Neither a calculator. I gave you a fifty and I'm waiting for the change," he cut off, exasperated. However, seeing that the girl was struggling counting, he ended up giving her the answer. "17.50".

"Thank you," this time her smile was completely sincere. "Here's your change."

"Thanks," Sam took two trays of cocktails in both his hands.

He turned and almost bumped into Kate who was standing behind him. It was cute, the way he looked at her shyly. It was obvious that he liked Kate.

"Let me help you," she said gently, taking one tray from him.