Chapter 1: A Heart With Dark Clouds

A little mermaid with long golden hair was laying her head on her mother's fin

   A little mermaid with long golden hair was laying her head on her mother's fin. Her mother was stroking the young girl's hair, humming a tune that the girl knew since birth.

   "My dear Zelda..." Her mother addressed. "If one day we are apart, do not forget this song. Lock this melody in your heart. It will help you one day."

   The little mermaid, Zelda, was confused about her mother's words. How could a song help her? The more she thought about it, the more confused she felt. "Mother... I don't understand."

   "You will understand one day, my little angelfish."

   "When will that one day be? When I'm all grown up?"

   Her mother giggled. "Yes." Her smile slowly faded, her face looking somewhat pained. "Zelda... I want you to live happy, but... I cannot guarantee you a life that has no hardships... No heartbreak. As much as I would like to protect you from all that, it is inevitable."

   Raising her head from her mother's lap, young Zelda tilted her head. "Whatever do you mean?"

"What I mean is... Life doesn't always have clear skies. There will be many storms that you will have to overcome. Even if I'm not physically by your side when you need me the most, just know... I'll always be with you in your heart."

   For some reason, Zelda felt a tinge of pain in her heart. "Mother... Why are you saying something so sad? It feels like... You're saying goodbye..."

   Her mother smiled sadly. "I'm not saying goodbye, my little angelfish. I will always be with you."

   Zelda couldn't shake off this bad feeling. Her mother's words were strange, almost like this was the last time she was going to see her again.

   Her mother wrapped her arms around Zelda, shaking her out of her thoughts. It felt like if her mother releases her, she would never feel her mother's warm embrace again.

   A pool of tears started to form in Zelda's eyes. Her mother noticed, a look of concern appeared on her face. "What's wrong?"

   Zelda sniffed, hugging her mother tightly. "I want to always be with you, mother!"

   Placing her hand on her daughter's back, Zelda's mother smiled bittersweetly. She felt like she was going to cry, but remained strong in front of her daughter. Wanting to spend this precious moment with Zelda, she began to hum the melody once more.

   Her mother's voice was calming, soothing to the point where it calmed her crying. Listening to her mother's song that's dedicated to her, Zelda laid her head against her mother's chest, cherishing the moment.

~•~

   It wasn't long before Zelda's fear came true. Her mother had passed away due to a mysterious illness, turning into sea foam in the night.