Chapter 11

I was on a run into town to get some more supplies for Judith. The town was more deserted than ever, now that the cars looked like charcoal, and the steel had been melted. People must have burned the cars, along with the bodies. Shaking my head I came across a baby store that happened to be barricaded. Shit. Scanning the side walls, i managed to find a bloody ax. Perfect. With one swing, the chain of the door, fell to the asphalt. Putting the ax back down I strolled into the store. Supplies was scattered everywhere, and dry blood stained the walls and the white, tiled floor. I cautiously carried on and grabbed a small red basket. I bent down and grabbed some baby food, and then some toys. If she was like my mother than she would love rabbits. A walker was standing in the middle of the aisle. With one arrow it fell limp onto the ground. Smiling I went into the aisle which had baby wipes. I grabbed a package and then made my way to the register. They had some necklaces and there was only one that caught my eye. It was in the glass cabinet, and it had the word 'Hope.' on a silver chain. Breaking the glass I grabbed it, and stepped on some shards of glass as I left the store. No longer was I going to be that defenseless damsel in distress. Oh hell no those days are long gone now i'm going to stand on my own two feet. Whoever is going to get in the way of me or my family form surviving those bitches are going to lose. I got into the Truck I had found started it and sped off into the direction of where the prison was. 

                When I arrived at the prison I was greeted by, Carl and Maggie. "Hey how was the trip?" She questioned as I walked inside the gates. "It was good, You want me to take watch for you?" I offered and she grinned. "Yeah sure, Thanks." I nodded. "Carl i'll be out there in a few minutes." I called as I walked into Cell block C. "Do you mind telling me that you're going next time instead of leaving?" Rick asked embracing me. "Sorry." I apologized and he had Judith in his arms. I traded him and I put the necklace on her. "Hope? Why that Wynter.?" He asked. "Because everyone needs hope and faith in a world like this. You should know better than the rest of us." He didn't respond and walked away to talk to Hershel.

        Carl and I were walking back and forth the narrow path that was in between the two gates. He looked down at the gravel and I rested one hand on his shoulder. "Carl what's wrong?" I asked filled with concern. He shook his head. "It's just i wish mom was here." He replied looking out in the distance towards the evergreen and oak trees. I embraced him tightly. "Me too. But you know what? She's proud of you." He sighed. "Really about what? Yelling at her fighting with her." I shook my head. "Carl you can't think about those things look at the bright side." I smiled. "Oh really like you do? You're so rebellious now! How the hell is that looking on the bright side? Trying to kill as many walkers as you can and trying to try things that will get you killed?!" He yelled before I could even respond.He stormed off. What the fuck was that?  

 The next morning I felt a cool breeze wash over me. Sitting up I felt the ground. I was laying in grass. I must've fallen asleep watch. Sighing I grabbed my bow and quiver and slung them behind my back. "Where are you going?!"Carl yelled running up to me. "Im going into town. Do you need anything?" I asked. "No I'm fine but why wouldn't you just stay here a little while?" He suggested. To be honest I didn't know myself.  I was about to respond when a shrill scream filled the air. Glancing around there were the sound of guns. "RUN!" I shouted at Carl. I pushed him behind one of the guard towers and he pulled out his gun. I pulled out my pistol. I took a quick glance and it was the governor and his people. I was going to try to shoot when I had to take cover again. Cursing I shot one up in the guard tower. "Get to Beth and give them the rifles near the prison door." I commanded. My father, was outside near the treeline and the stream, and he was lying beside a bridge as cover. Hershel was in the courtyard. "Hershel get the hell out of there!" I yelled, shooting a walker, and another of the governor's militia. Running past the shooting militia I made my way out of the gates. "Rick!" I yelled. The governor shot my way, and instead of hitting my head it hit the fence pole. I sighed in relief and shot at him. I shot a walker that came my way, and everyone stopped shooting. Curious I heard a blaring truck engine in the distance. It took out the court yard fence! it stopped in the middle, and the back door opened. They unleashed hungry walkers into the field. "Hershel get out of there!" I began shooting the walkers in the courtyard and the governor was leaving with Martinez.