18- Surprise!

Vanessa's POV

After Steve's surprise at my office I got back to work. But, when the clock hits 6 pm I went home, took shower and changed my clothes. I drove to his house and got in, we have each other's house keys anyways.

-Hey babe? I'm here

As soon as I said that Amanda and Doris came out the kitchen and Mary came through the door behind me. Coincidence? No! Looks like it was scripted. Oh boy, imma kill Steve for this, I'm not ready to meet his mom and yet, she was in front of me measuring me from top to bottom. She is gorgeous btw, but looks really tough, I see where he gets this bad cop vibe

-Yay babe, you made it - Steve said coming down the stairs and I gave him a very mad look. So he came and whispered in my ear while hugging me.

-I'm sorry, they came unannounced I was about to call you to let you know they were here when you burst into the house put a smile on your face please - so I did what he asked me. Man, this night was going to be long...

...

-So, Amanda, you said you had big news, care to say it? - Steve spoke after 30 minutes into the dinner

-I'm pregnant - she said with the biggest smile on her face

-OMG! SIS! THAT IS AWESOME - Mary stood up and ran to hug her sister and her brother in law

-Oh Lord! I'm going to be a Grandmother!! See Steve? This is how you do it - Doris said staring him and then me. What does she meant by that? Oh good lord

-Amanda! That is such good news. Congratulations little sis - Steve finally spoke and hugged his sister and Chin.

-Oh my baby, I'm so happy for you - I said getting up and hugging the new parents.

Throughout the rest of the evening Doris kept being weird with me and underestimating me all the time.

.

After all the hugging and desert, Amanda, Chin and Mary finally left, the only ones in the house were me, Steve and Doris.

-So honey, you and my son huh? - Doris spoke to me when we both were alone in the kitchen, Steve had to take a call

-Yes - I gave her a smile, but she didn't seem happy - oh, you have a problem with me don't you?

-Smart girl

-May I know why? - I looked to her raising one eyebrow

-Yes you may. I have a problem that you think you can get in his life like nothing ever happened

-Excuse me?

-You don't remember do you? You were the doctor that didn't save my partner 5 years ago.

-Oh, I didn't know you were Steve's mom. I remember you now,you had a different hair though - I looked at her with the best cynical look I could - You came screaming at me for no reason after the incident

-Incident? YOU KILLED HIM

-oh, for the LAST TIME. I did not kill him! I was not even the leader surgeon! Stop being so stubborn!

-DON'T YOU LIE TO ME! YOUR NAME WAS IN HIS PAPERS AS HIS SURGEON - and she snapped, grabbed a knife and came for me.

I was able to block her and make her drop the knife, but she is also trained and she put up a fight with me. Luckily with no knife. The moment Steve came in and saw the fight she was on top of me suffocating me. I was already losing my strength when Steve took her away from me.

-Mom! What is your problem?

-She started it... five years ago!

-For the last time! It was not me! - I lost my patience with her.

-What are you talking about? - Steve asked looking between her and I

-Her partner died five years ago due to mission injuries. I was an assistant surgeon, didn't know much about the procedure and she blames me for his death. That night she screamed at me blaming me. I told her that night that I was not the leading surgeon. Indeed, on the papers it is my name. But that's not on me, the doctor didn't want his name linked to CIA agents because he was afraid that because of his experience, criminals would recruit him. Since I was not concerned about that, I let them use my name as the only surgeon on the case... anyway, she never believed me.

-Stop lying! - she started crying - stop lying

-You know what? I am gonna go. I think I did enough here tonight. Bye Babe - I said, grabbed my purse, kissed Steve and then left.

Steve's POV

-Mom, what the hell? Can't you believe her?

-I cannot believe a liar

-She is not lying, she didn't do it. And even if she was the leader surgeon his death would not be on her. People die, doctors are not robots mom. PEOPLE DIE - Doris didn't want to hear another word I said, so she left. I hope she comes to get senses after all of this.