Chapter 21- Lunch Date

The two men took off down the street, hand in hand and laughing as they zigzagged through the groups of people, just making it in time for the class. Both rushing in and panting as the teacher looked up at them.

"You almost didn't make it! Quickly find a spot" She said rather annoyed as Magnus and Alec took their spot at the front of the class and smiled at each other. "I am Rachel and today we are going to start with pesto pasta, made with chicken, tomatoes and asparagus. Then we will make some cupcakes."

The class all looked at each other and beamed, pleased that the food sounded good and nothing too fancy that would be difficult. Alec was also extremely pleased that he wasn't likely to embarrass himself with his bad cooking either.

"Okay. Firstly, we need to set our pasta on to boil then we can start with the sauce. All of your ingredients are on the recipe sheets on your work stations and the supplies are to the sides of you. Go and get what you need." Rachel smiled. Magnus went with Alec to the side and collected the stuff they needed.

Magnus, being sensible, decided to make two trips but Alec didn't think about it and instead gathered everything up into a pile in his arms, losing his balance and dropping the jar of pesto onto the floor with a bang and smashing it, pesto sauce flying all up onto the cupboard doors.

"Shit.. shit... shit..." Alec cursed, dumping everything onto the counter and sighing. "Sorry."

"It's fine. Just get it cleaned up and use another jar." Rachel said, annoyed. Alec rolled his eyes, feeling embarrassed that he had done something else wrong again on their date. Alec grabbed a cloth and started cleaning, beaming with love and delight when Magnus joined him.

"You okay?" Magnus asked, concerned when he saw Alec's expression from before. "Don't worry about it. It's only a little sauce. It's almost cleaned up now."

"It's not that..." Alec sighed and shook his head. "I'll tell you later. Let's just get this done."

Magnus was about to ask but nodded instead, allowing Alec space as they cleaned up the sauce and started following the instructions the teacher gave them. Alec concentrated hard, with his tongue stuck out, not wanting to make another mistake.

The pair exchanged smiles as they worked. They had spoken once and were told off for talking so instead, they just shared looks when the grumpy teacher wasn't looking. They boiled the pasta and cooked the chicken, asparagus and tomatoes together once it was diced. They then added the pesto and the now cooked pasta, trying a little bit of it before putting it into pots to take away. This was followed by washing up both the stuff they had used and their work surfaces.

"How's yours?" Alec asked as he finished cleaning.

"Good. What about your's?" Magnus grinned.

"Ok, I think..." Alec smiled slightly.

"Hey... what's wrong?" Magnus asked confused as he cupped his cheek.

"Nothing. I just... I promise I'll tell you after." Alec shrugged, about to tell him when Rachel started explaining to them about the cupcakes.

"Okay. So again, the ingredients are to the side and listed in your recipes. The key to cupcakes is accuracy in the measuring. You need to make sure you get all the ingredients right, otherwise, it could go wrong. You first want to beat the sugar and butter. Then add the eggs a little at a time, followed by the flour and vanilla. Then I'm going to have you make buttercream that you can take with you for when the cupcakes are cooled." She announced to the class.

Alec went with Magnus as they collected the stuff they needed for the cupcakes, Alec learning his lesson as he made three trips this time. Magnus tried not to laugh at him being over cautious. They got out the mixers and the other stuff they needed before setting up everything so it was ready.