Chapter Eleven: The Hinge

*trigger warning for mild sexual harassment*

I'm not saying I've never left Hellmington before...but I've never left Hellmington before. My mom and I were all we had left. No relatives, no friends outside the city, no vacations, no holiday homes, and if my mom ever had to go on a business trip she left me at home with a babysitter.

Hellmington had everything we could want and need. Everything, except an underaged club. As I stood in the dark parking lot surrounded by buildings looking like they've seen better days, facing the pulsing club in front of me, all I could think about was how quick the drive had been, yet I've never taken the trip before.

I eyed the neon sign above the low club: a neon yellow door swung open on a single bottom hinge before swinging closed. Over and over, occasionally changing colors. A small line of teenagers trickled inside, chattering excitedly over the low thrum of music coming from inside.

I swallowed and squeezed Stacy's wrist. "I don't know any of those people," I whispered for the first time in my life.

Stacy laughed and threw me a wicked grin. "Isn't it great?"

I broke out into a smile and nodded. "It's amazing." And it was. I wasn't in Hellmington. These people didn't know me and I didn't know them. For the first time ever, I was unknown.

Stacy tugged me in the line and we were cast some curious looks, but no one approached us. Stacy wore a short black leather dress with fishnet stockings and bold red lipstick. Her hair was touseled in a purposefully messy look, which just added to her appeal in my opinion.

I tugged at my black skirt. It was short and clung to me like a second skin, hugging curves I didn't know I had until tonight, apparently. I wore a shimmery red halter top and my hair was pulled into the tightest and highest ponytail I've ever seen. If I moved my head too fast I could probably blind someone.

While I mindlessly imagined different ways to turn my hair into a weapon, Stacy started chatting with the group of friends in front of us. Three guys and two girls, all dressed like we were. One of the guys instantly started to hit on Stacy, who flirted right back. Damn, she could give Jay a run for his money.

Soon, we were inside. The large open space was filled to the brim with dancing teenagers gyrating against each other while the DJ hyped them from a small stage. Colorful lights flickered from above, nearly in sync with the colors I saw thanks to the music. I looked to the left and saw a bar against the wall. My breath hitched until I saw the menu then I burst out laughing. There were only sodas and water for sale.

"See?" Stacy grinned, looking where I was. "What was Rachel so afraid of?" She tugged my arm. "Now let's go dance!"

"Wait wait wait-" I pulled her back. "Rules!" I yelled over the pounding music.

Stacy rolled her eyes but nodded. "Fine. What you got?"

"If we accidentally lose sight of each other we go to the bar. Don't take drinks from strangers and we go to the bathrooms together." I listed them off on my fingers.

"Good plan." She muttered dismissively and pulled at my arm again. "Can we go dance now, mom?"

I grinned and nodded, giddy to get to the dance floor.

Stacy mirrored my grin and pulled me into the crowd. I didn't waste a second. I started to bounce wildly, rolling my head and shaking out my arms. I let the music move through me and I closed my eyes, a beaming smile cracking my face in two. No one here would care about how I danced. No one would tell their parents that go-for-nothing Hanna Green was acting up again. No one cared, because no one knew me. For the first time, I was just like everyone else. I loved it.