40 +

Daniel

(Before Annabelle's realization)

I leaned over the doorway, before my body took a mind of its own. My breath hitched, hallowing in a way that I couldn't control. My body felt as if it was going to crumble in seconds.

Annabelle's gaze landed on me and she rushed by my side. Mr. Andrews followed her and helped me stabilize. The effect I noticed left me blank minded. As soon as Annabelle reached my side, I felt as if I were sending waves of my feeble and abstract symptoms to her. The bond which connected us only resulted in intensifying my agony and sense of crumbling.

When we reached the bed side, Mr. Andrews also was triggered. Although, what I triggered was reflected when Lindsey began to weaken as well.

For a second, Mr. Andrews' irises and entirety of his eyes darkened into an abyss of raven black pools. During Mr. Andrews sudden change, I was the only one watching since Annabelle had decided to rest. Mr. Andrews noticed my catching of him and soon I drifted under an imprisoned slumber. My feeble limps prevented me of alerting Annabelle.

--

My vision was blurry, although I could somewhat form my surroundings. I was in Annabelle's room, but as an overseer. Her shifting beside me could be felt against my skin, but I could not respond. Her flooding tears and attempts to become alerted ended in her exhaustion and blank state. I tried to close the distance between us, but my limbs did not react. I did all in my will with my disconnected body and soul, and those limbs still laid in the dammed deep slumber.

My gaze was casted off my partner and numb corpse, to catch a couple in the corner. My initiative idea was to approach them, but I decided to see what they could reveal. Their gazes were stuck on Anabelle and my corpse. They're body language revealed their curiosity towards the scene before them. Could the couple be Emilee and Jason? I observed their appearance and consumed their facial expressions. Thoughts flooded through me, and I suddenly felt the pang of déjà vu.

The woman's petite and thin structure, as well as her dark features reminded me of those of a woman who used to care for me as a child. Nonetheless, the man slim form paired with chestnut hair, cyan eyes and grim face reminded me of a neighbor I've mine, again as a child.

What could they possibly want with us? With me?

I felt goosebumps spike as cold glares caught sight of me. They approached me, and I was again felt the sensation of being numb and unable to move. How could they possibly obtain such power? All in all, who were they?

A vast force caught me and I left as if I were suffocated. And with the discomfort came my soul returning to my limbs stuck in the damned slumber. The man and the woman stood by my right and their gazes penetrating profoundly. I had misread their expressions. The woman's at least.

Her eyes were glazed with a sadness caught in the eyes of a mother whom had lost a child. Her eyelashes were damp as they cradled her chestnut irises. Her lips were perked in the manner of crying. Her overall facial expression displayed sadness, even grief.

The man stood in his dominant, and disconnected manner. His aura displayed such as mimicking a sociopath.

"Do you think he sees us?" Her voice trembled.

"What good would you do if he were able to?"

"It would mean, he's like us." Her irises sadly became illuminated.

"Stop getting your hopes up. They're not yours. They're never going to be like us. Like you. They can't be anyway."

"You shouldn't be surprised if one of these days, you'll be missing your cynical soul."

"Em, seriously. Why weep over these useless two, when we can have our own." Her expression transformed into something I couldn't decipher.

"When I saw you, all alone and broken, I took you under my wing. I was, I am, the woman you were never were able to even try to enchant with your child's play. It is vastly inconsiderate of you to not connect the dots. I cannot breed another child, Jason. Those two, are all we've got. All I've got."

"With that attitude and aura, of course a child won't be summoned."

"We've been trying for months now, moron. Don't try to shrug this off, because we both know who is the insufficient one here." She gritted through her teeth. His irises darkened, as his jaw locked and his gaze bore into me.

"What's our plan for them, then?"

Could he see me? I could feel as if he had the upper hand, especially when it came to the fact that, I could see them. Could that mean, Annabelle could see them?

I turned to my side, and saw her angelic face. Her eyelashes fluttering and face just in a blissful slumber, or so I tried to imagine it so. When Emilee said could be like them, did that mean, one would be able to see things rather than the other?

If we were to be such, I would do anything in my power to rid of such gift. The ability to see something and the other lack it, would mean one is the weaker, and with Annabelle and I, we were both equal. We had to be.