Chapter 2

Jack's POV:

I fly for an hour or two until I finally see Berk coming into view. I sneak around the island to the side where the village is.

I haven't come here in a while to visit, and Hiccup might not still believe in me. I sigh. Here's hoping.

I come into view of the village and I almost fall out of the sky.

The people are riding the dragons!

What have I missed? They used to be mortal enemies! They literally lived to fight each another.

Then, I see Hiccup. He's petting- Painful! Yes, I know, Painful is a weird name.

But the two of us are well acquainted. He has a ridiculous grudge against me for no reason.

I return his grudge, but I have reason. Every time I come near him, he tries to kill me. Thus his name being Painful.

I gulp. He spotted me!

I'm about to fly away when I realize that he isn't chasing after me. I come closer and see that half of his tail is missing.

He has some manually operated tail instead. I land right in front of him. "Who's gonna win now?" I jeer.

He growls and shoots at me. "Toothless! What are you doing?" Hiccup yells at him.

Toothless? Toothless! Trust me, he has teeth. Sharp teeth.

Hiccup looks around. He doesn't see me! I moan. At least Painful does. Haha. No, Painful seeing me is not a good thing.

But, he appears to trust the dragon. Maybe he'll believe that Painful is actually attacking something. Painful shoots at me again.

This time, I freeze the blast of fire. Hiccup stares at it, jaw dropped.

He puts together the pieces, and looks right at me. "Jack!" He exclaims in surprise.

I breathe a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness you can see me. This was gonna be really hard if you couldn't," I say quickly.

He walks over to Painful. "I guess that last time you were here, we were still at war with the dragons. Well, this is my dragon and best friend-" I interrupt him.

"Painful. Trust me, we've met."

"Painful? What kind of name is that?" He asks me. I glare at him.

"A better one than Toothless." He puts his hands up in defeat.

"Fine, you win. Now what brings you back here after such a long time?" He asks. I sigh. How do I say this? I've never been good with words.

And he's clearly unhappy that I abandoned him. We used to be pretty good friends.

"You remember what I used to tell you about the moon?" He twists up his face in thought.

"Yeah, I think so," he says after a moment. I then continue.

"Well, he announced that an old evil is back. His name is Pitch. I stopped coming here in the first place because..." I trail off. He waits patiently for me to continue.

"Because I was chosen to be a guardian and fight Pitch." His eyes open wide.

"Like Santa and the Tooth Fairy and the Easter Bunny and..." "Yes," I interrupt him again. At least he remembers that much.

"We defeated Pitch, who is the bringer of fear." Hiccup frowns.

"Why are you here, then? Being a Guardian must be a lot of work."

"Now he's back. The Man in the Moon instructed me to bring you and two other people to the workshop to do something to help defeat him again," I reply.

Hiccup and Toothless just stare at one another for several minutes. I watch them like they're crazy. And they just might be.

"We're in," Hiccup finally says, looking up. I raise my eyebrows and shrug.

"Ok. Next is Merida DunBroch," I say, looking at my list.

"Oh, I know her!" Hiccup exclaims. I look at him in surprise.

"She ran away from home again. She's hiding out in a cave right here in Berk," he tells me. I sigh.

"Well, here we go again," I say disdainfully. Both Hiccup and Painful glare at me.

"Not that this isn't fun or anything," I say sarcastically. All I get is a plasma blast to the back as they fly off.

"Race you!" Hiccup calls.

"No fair!" I yell, flying after them.