Chapter 20

Jack's POV:

(Caught up)

I land in Berk and run toward Astrid, hoping that she remembers me.

"Jack!" She calls. I sigh in relief. She still believes!

"Hiccup and his two friends were just here," she informs me. I nod excitedly, waiting for her to go on.

"Oh, but one of them went missing." At that, my heart stops.

"What?!" I choke.

"The redhead disappeared in, 'black fog'," she reports nonchalantly. I almost faint in guilt. Pitch has Merida. And I was off playing in the snow. I could've done something.

"Where are the other two?" I ask with all of my remaining voice.

"Flying toward DunBroch," she responds, turning away and walking off, clearly frustrated that everyone is making a big deal out of Mer's disappearance.

I don't hesitate to take off after Hic and Goldie, hoping that I can catch up to them before they land.

Merida's POV:

"Ah, there's my dear princess. How are you feeling?" Pitch asks me as I walk into what appears to be the jail of the lair.

There are large cages hanging all around, with small black tunnels dotting every wall.

"Happy to finally be me," I reply with a smirk. He smirks back.

"Let's see how well you can fly." I can fly! My face lights up, and I make a small black sand cloud beneath my feet.

Sure enough, I'm up in the air momentarily. He joins me, and congratulates me on my newfound freedom.

"I have come up with some plans for my revenge," I tell him. "I'll need your help. In return, I'll be happy to help you with any of your plans," I add.

He grins and beckons to me to follow him.

We come to an office like area with a smaller version of North's globe.

Even the Guardian's name tastes like poison.

We sit down together and discuss our plans for hours.

Soon, I have all of the information about Pitch and his plans. And I mean all.

We're ready to crush them. They will pay handsomely.

Except Rapunzel. Pitch agreed to let her go live a normal mortal's life, and I agreed to let Pitch be the one to kill Jack.

I'll help though, of course.

The pieces are falling together perfectly.

Pitch's POV:

My plan is falling together perfectly!

The Scot is completely evil, but enough of her still shines through to destroy her friends and be entertaining company.

But I have extreme precautions in place, despite the seemingly perfect situation.

The Guardians just love to ruin my plans, so I'm being careful.

The one concerning hitch is that Rapunzel.

Merida just doesn't want to hurt her. Goodness, if I do as much as touch one of her 80 foot hairs, she'll turn on me!

I can't manage to turn the situation around because she's simply never said or done a single thing that could be twisted by even me, the master, into something angering.

I'm just going to have to go along with the, 'spare her' plan until I either don't need the Scot anymore and can get rid of her, or can catch Rapunzel doing something twistable.

Luckily, patience is my strong suit. I just hope that she doesn't ruin this entire plan.

Hiccup's POV:

With Toothless's help, I've been trying to determine what that knifelike pain in my heart was.

All that I can think of is that something happened to Merida. That's my least favorite idea, but it makes the most sense.

All of the sudden I hear Goldie scream, "Jaaack! Over heeere!" I look over my shoulder to see a far too pale Jack quickly gaining on us. I've never seen him fly this fast.

"Are you two ok?" He pants as he comes up beside us.

"You're the one everyone's been worried about!" I scold him. His face pales even more.

"I'm so so so so sorry!" He exclaims, clearly a nervous wreck.

"Hey! Calm down! It's fine now," I comfort him. I'm really concerned. I've never seen him freaking out like this.

"Where's Merida," he asks me, obviously knowing the answer. I look down toward the ground.

"We're almost there. Then we can explain everything then," I mumble. He nods, and Goldie sighs sadly.

We all know how painful this'll be to explain. Again.