chapter 9: question

"huh? what do you mean by you lost her?" i questioned him. he was reluctant for a moment and opened his mouth to speak up and as if god didn't want him to answer, the ferry wheel came to a stop. we had no choice but to get down. as we walked down the stairs and under the clear moonlight, a familiar voice rang in my ears. i looked to the direction where the voice came from. it was jackson.
and beside him. there was a lady.
"what's he doing here with a lady?" i thought to myself as i walked up to him. i tapped on his shoulders gently. he slowly turned around.
"ye-?" his eyes widened as he saw the person who was standing in front of him which was me.
"what are you doing here?"
what does he mean by what am i doing here?
"well, what are YOU doing here? and with a lady?" i threw the question back at him. he laughed awkwardly while stealing glances at the lady. "that's my mother, pabo," he gritted his teeth and he nervous laughed.
oh coconut shucks i'm dead
"ahh, hello jackson's mother! i am irene, jackson's girlfriend. we've been dating for quite a long time. nice to see you ma'am!" i greeted her cheerfully. she gave a are-you-serious kind of stare to him before smiling gently towards me and bringing me into a hug.
jaehyun was some distance away to keep the privacy but still heard us.
as i waved them goodbye and turned around, he pretended not to have been eavesdropping and turned the other away swiftly. i walked up to him and said "shall we continue walking?". he nodded and continued walking beside me.

"was that your boyfriend's mother?" jaehyun questioned. "mhm, she's pretty right?" i replied. "have you seen her before this?" i raised my eyebrows in question. "i'm asking because you looked like you saw her for the first time," he said. 

and that made me think hard. "now that i think of it, i have not met her before."

"you should talk about this to jackson. if not, there can be an understanding. i'm not trying to break your relationship with him but usually, couples meet each other's parents after 1.5 years. that is, if they last long and are gonna get married. so, go and talk to him," he advised kindly. 

"should i?" i mumbled under my breath as i got into the car and he drove me back home. i thought of saying something to break the silence when jaehyun said "hey, don't think too much about it and rest well. okay?" i looked into his eyes that softened when he said those words. i simply nodded my head. in no time, i reached home. 

"thanks!" i got out of the car and jaehyun winded down the windows to reply "my pleasure darling." it made me chuckle a bit as i waved at him and walk away. i removed my shoes and placed it on the shoe rack before sitting down beside joy who was watching hotel del luna on TV. 

"you're back home!!!" she yelled into my ear and anyone who was watching could tell it was on purpose. as i watched the drama with her, jaehyun's words ringed in my ears. "i'm not trying to break your relationship with him but usually, couples meet each other's parents after 1.5 years. that is, if they last long and are gonna get married. so, go and talk to him."

was he trying to say jackson is hiding something from me? why hasn't jackson brought me to see his mother now that i think of it? what if i actually had but forgotten? i should ask joy.

"joy-ah, have we seen jackson's mother before? or have i told you that i saw jackson's mother?" i asked her. she thought for a while before saying "no, i don't think so," and turned around to continue watching the drama. i got up and went upstairs to my bedroom. i quickly washed before lying down on my bed and opening jackson's texts with me. i scrolled through them to see if he had ever talked about his mother. surprisingly, he hadn't. i thought of some possible reasons why he hadn't talked about his mom.

was his mother busy? but if she was, how would she go to the amusement park with him? did i ignore the fact that he had a mother? or did he want me to ask him instead of him talking about it? 

the last one was the most convincing so i texted him. to ask him. 

me: hey, are you busy?

he replied immediately.

jackson: hm? no

me: then, that's good. i won't beat around the bush. have you brought me to see your mother? 

jackson: no, why?

me: why have you not?

jackson: she was busy.

me: then how did she find the time to go to the amusement park with you? she also looked close with you.

jackson: she wanted to spend time with me so she took leave and came. why are you asking me these?

me: i realised i haven't met your mother. bring me to see her. i want to meet her. together with your father

jackson: i'll check and confirm.

why is he replying so formally? he's definitely hiding something from me.