chapter 20: meet-up

-lunch time-

"jinyoung, i'm going for lunch and will be back by 3," i said as i picked up my bag. "huh? why so long? aren't you going somewhere near?" he questioned. 

"uhm.. i have plans with someone and i don't have many check-ups today."

"oh, okay then. see you later!" he waved me goodbye and i returned his gesture. i opened my messages.

me: hey, i just ended work. can you send me the address of the restaurant?

jackson: i'm so sorry that i wasn't able to pick you up. the restaurant is sunshine tteokbokki. 

me: ok, will be there in 20 minutes.

jackson: i'm waiting..

-20 minutes later-

i swerved to the right and parked the car. i checked myself in the mirror and took a deep breath. "be confident and don't make a fool out of yourself and don't make him think that you want to get back together with him," i said to myself while looking into the mirror. i picked up my bag from the backseat and got out of the car, heading towards the entrance of the restaurant.

i opened the door of the restaurant and the bells at the door jingled. the waitress greeted me with a bright smile on her face. i smiled gently back.

jackson pov

the bells jingled and i turned my head towards the direction of the sound and there she was.

irene. the girl i missed the most.

she was looking around the restaurant and finally made eye contact with me. she halted in her steps and then waved at me.

she looked so beautiful. so much that i wanted to run to her and hug her. but i can't because of my stupid mistake so everything was over.

i waved back at her and she walked towards the table i was sitting at and she sat down.

irene pov

i took a seat opposite him and i smiled at him because it was so awkward. "it's cold right?" he broke the silence and i nodded in agreement. "how are you?" i asked. i wanted to ask this when i met him at the hospital but i was too overwhelmed by his appearance that i couldn't control my emotions and ask him bravely.

"i'm doing alright but not the best. i am not going to ask you how you are because you look so pretty and in best condition today." of course, he is still a smooth talker. i blushed lightly and muttered a small 'thank you'. he smiled gently and rubbed his hands together.

"okay so what do you want to eat? you love tteokbokki. have anything you want. it's on me today," he said excitedly. "i want to have the most spicy one but you can't eat spicy food so let's have black bean one," i commented as i went through the menu. i heard no reply so i looked up. he blinked his eyes at me in surprise. "wow, you still remember that i can't eat spicy food. i'm touched," he placed his hand over his right chest and eye-smiled. i unconsciously smiled back.

<after ordering>

"hey, are you okay?" jackson asked. "yeah, i'm doing fine. why?" i answered.

"well, i wondered if you were doing fine after we broke up. i must have hurt you a lot, right? i'm really sorry that you had to go through this." he sounded genuine. i melted on the inside and just nodded. "i really feel sorry. seeing you crying at the karaoke shattered my heart but i was helpless," he explained.

i smiled cheekily and said, "hold on, that drunk call was a mistake. i was so embarrassed about it when jimin reminded me and i was so frustrated at myself. why am i even telling you this?" i frantically apologised and covered my face. all i heard was a chuckle. i split my fingers, only to see him shaking his head while smiling.