{6} It's family stuff

Chapter 6 - It's family stuff

"Of all times she chooses to actually want to see us, it just had to be today?" I complained to dad who only raised his eyebrows at me, showing that there was nothing that he could do about our mother wanting to see us for the first time in years. It was like she had an intel that told her specifically when we didn't want to see her, just so she could make plans that could be cancelled to ruin our days. There was nothing worse I could've thought to have gone wrong and it happened, it was just my luck, on Yoongi's very rare day off too.

"I know right! Today could've been spent doing so many things: xbox, eating and sleeping but no, mother had to come and ruin it as she always does. Are you sure she isn't an alien dad? Sent to earth to create pure misery?" Cole groaned, hair still messy as he'd only just woken up and didn't care enough to tame his dark curls into anything but a birds nest. Neither of us cared about mother enough to make an actual effort to see her which she knew but always complained about.

"Kids, it's just a dinner. I'm pretty sure we can make it through one terribly expensive meal without tearing her apart, right? At least we're getting free food. Sophie, have you let Yoongi know that you won't be able to make it today?" Dad said as he did up his colourful tie, stroking a single hand across his clean shaven face before winking at himself in the mirror, how big headed. After questioning the man who had helped create me, I sighed and checked my phone for a reply from Yoongi after I'd told him I couldn't make it, 'Family stuff' was the excuse i'd given him but I knew he'd accept it as he was an easy going person.

"He must still be sleeping, hasn't answered my texts. Do we really have to sit and entertain a woman who abandoned us, just so she can feel good about herself? Seems a bit stupid if you ask me." I mumbled in annoyance, really sour that i wasn't going to be able to spend time with Yoongi as I'd planned to. The warning look dad gave me made me huff and roll my eyes, knowing that any words against my mother weren't to be said tonight, even though she may deserve it. After everything she'd put us through, dad still disliked any type of disrespect towards mother directed at her face, though he joined in on bitching sessions behind her back regularly.

"Dad the car's here, a really fancy one too!" Cole basically squealed excitedly, face lighting up as he poked his head out of the window to get a closer look. With one last encouraging look from dad, the three of us made our way out to the car that was waiting for us, mother sat with the door open, not even smiling at us as we joined her in the car.

"So glad that you could all make it today, i've been wanting to spend some time with my children... and soulmate." The callous woman spoke as she scrolled through her phone, dark hair swept up into a stylish bun, much unlike my messy buns which always seemed to stick up in odd angles. Even after years of not seeing us face to face, she still didn't even greet us properly, barely even acknowledging that we were in the same car as her. I could almost feel my dad's pain from across the car as he watched the woman he'd loved for so long treat him like an insignificant piece of her life, ignoring the soulmate bond which tied them together.