7. The Pain After The Storm

Leah fled the house as quick as she could, not bearing the sight of crying in front of her heartless parents, for reasons they were not aware of. As she desperately ran, in search of someone who would tell her where Logan lived, she stumbled upon an elderly man, who took pity to her tired eyes.

He pointed in a specific direction and her feet picked up pace, she ran like her life depended on it. It didn't but Logan's life had. She wasn't making the same mistake again.

A gloomy morning was darkening the aura that surrounded the dull-grey house. The surrounding fence was completely teared up, the garden bed besides the house withered to nothingness, and paint slowly chipping off the pillars at either side of the front door.

She hesitated to knock, not knowing what fate had stored in for her. She was quite scared of what his family's response would be, even though in her mind, it was obvious there was no way they could know Leah had seen it all happen, and had nothing in her power to stop it; but she couldn't go back, not now.

A lady in her worn-out sweater and a long skirt, going below her weak knees, opened the door for her. She wasn't surprised at all when she saw the lady's eyes brimmed with tears, one eventually escaping on her chestnut brown skin,  reminding her of Logan. 'As if', she retorted,
'As if you would let him live.'

"I am sorry... I am so sorry.", that was all Leah could say before her emotions overtook her. She knew she was vulnerable enough to break at any point. Therefore, she gathered her courage to leave but before she could take a further step, she felt a slight tug at her wrist. Her mother was smiling, "Stay, you are that one friend he ever had."

"Thank you Leah, thank you so much for coming."  The woman whispered, pain evident in her eyes, but a smile still managed to make its way to her face. It pierced Leah's heart but there was nothing in her control, let alone turning back time.

After returning a forced smile, she got up and excused herself. As she looked up at the sky, black clouds came into view, but this was nothing to worry about, this weather wasn't unusual in Moorcroft, and so were ignored accidents; Logan's mother had told her, the police here had filed the case but they were about to do as much as she herself could do for finding the someone whose reckless  driving had lead to Logan's early departure.

The clouds were a warning of a storm to come, but she couldn't care less, after losing someone who she really liked , who cherished her existence and the only person she knew who didn't think she was a waste of oxygen, the only person who was her friend, her legs couldn't find the energy to run home to save herself from a puny storm. 'So soon.', the only thought in her mind, repeating again and again.

Time blurred past as she now stood in front of the gate of her house, realisation dawning that maybe, just maybe if she had taken control of her feelings, she wouldn't have been so late. But she had to enter, there was no where else to go. And this time, she had to fight her hard fate.

At entering, the first thing she was met was a slap, a hard one, sending throbbing pain all across her right cheek.
"Where the hell were you? Do you never learn your lesson?", this was her mother. She glared at Leah, daring her to talk back to her after the 'sin' she had committed.

Her father, sitting quietly on the table in the kitchen was what induced fear in her. She quickly muttered "I am sorry."  to avoid further trouble. Her mother rubbed her temples and looked at her husband. Leah took the hint and tried to bail, but she froze as soon as a firm hand grasped at her hair. A glimpse of her own life flashed in front of her eyes.

The firm hand made her move with it, as everything else started to blur out.

Now as she looked around, she realised she was in the dark basement again, and that she was tightly tied to a rod behind her head, her neck painfully pressed into the cold metal. In her sight was a plate, filled with food. Her stomach churned at the sight of it, but all she could do was stand in the position she was left in, to make it hurt less than it was already hurting.

Gradually, her eyes started to close, and somehow standing in that painful position, she fell asleep.

Later, she was standing right at the entrance of her house, locking eyes with a man she had never seen before. He was standing oddly straight, with a crooked nose and chapped lips. What threw her off was his eyes and his smile.

One eye shined bright blue while the other a strange brown; Heterochromia made his eyes look so breathtaking, yet despising. And oh his smile, it was wicked, as if he knew all things that Leah did not.

As a sudden urge of sprinting towards him rose in Leah, she could already see a splash of red forming on his chest. He gave her the same smile, only weaker and filled with ironic sympathy. As he fell on the ground, the bullet pressed into his chest, Leah heard him mouth his last words.

"Because of you... all of it, because of you."