30. Forward And Back

Leah had thought this was the first time in forever that she had woken up peacefully; that it was a miracle she hadn't jolted up or broken out in sweat. Then a minute later she realised if it wasn't for a few inches, she would collide head to head with Alex, who was looking at her, surprised,  his eyes bluer than ever glinting with genuine concern .

As sleep cleared from her watery eyes, she could now see him more clearly. He had moved farther away and was now perched on the edge of the bed, eyeing her with what could only be annoyance or sarcasm, the disconcerting concern having simmered away long before.

But for Leah, it was different. This time, seeing his eyes with what was supposedly the normal colour flooded her with tons of relief, as if she had been spinning in a whirlpool of messy, heart-wrenching thoughts, and now seeing something familiar had teared her delusion to shreds.

His quip comment broke the silence. "You need to learn to relax, hothead."

Now this was something Leah was not used to, the caring side of him. Even though it was dipped in sarcasm, it was far better than his anger, swift and ferocious as it was.

He sprung up from the bed and made his way to the curtained window, suddenly discarding the decision to even look at her, let alone care about the situations she has been in since the past few days. It was as if he had read her thoughts.

"Our deal is still on, it doesn't mean if I saved you from someone, I am suddenly your bestfriend."

"I can do much worse to you."

Silence loomed in the air again, so thick you could cut it with a butter knife.

 "And as far as the boy who kidnapped you, Sebastian, is concerned, you don't need to worry about him. Who you should be worried about is you yourself."

His words seem to have a dawning effect on Leah, and she realised how much she had been neglected, even by herself, in the ever-going game of blood and power.

"You got all that?" His harsh tone pricked at her skin, and she was quick to respond in agreement.

By now, he had made his way over to her bedside table and firmly clasped her hand. She knew what was about to happen, and the similar feeling of nausea and nothingness that took over her confirmed it. And just like that, teleportation drained whatever energy she had in her after the few hours of sleep.

When she could finally see her room again, she couldn't see him, but she could hear his voice, clear but sounding as if it was coming from far away. 

 "I won't be coming today."

And with that, she was left alone with her heavy, empty head, and the dread of a bitter future.

Life sure wasn't being easy on her, crushing her spirits and forcing her to glue it together when the time comes by, which apparently came by very often in all honesty. Then that time would come once more, and leave her shattered to pieces so she would had to spend hours locating and gathering them. The cycle would keep repeating, and she would have to do it all before the sirens bled again.

It suddenly revealed to her that Alex had left each and everyone of her questions unanswered, trailing the subject from her blood off and away every single time.

The clock struck six in the evening, and she knew she had to prepare herself for another sleepless night, wait painfully for the anticipation to build in her and internally tear her apart.

 I am back :D The exams were bad, but I can finally get back to this.
And I agree, Alex iS being a b****
but hehehehh