13. Who Are You?

The rest of her day was spent in the park; walking about, doing her homework or just looking at mothers playing with their children, enjoying one of those beautiful days in Moorcroft.

The problem? It hadn't been a 'beautiful day' for her.

Leah smiled as she saw a child wail because he had tripped and dropped his candy.
His mother picked him up, pecked his cheek and gently caressed them to wipe his tears away. She gave him another lollipop and his face immediately lit up, as he burst into giggles.

Night glazed over, and she knew it was time to go home.

She started ambling on the sidewalk, already visualising what was about to happen next, and how her life had ended up like this.

Then she stopped as she realised it was her own fault, she should've died when her real parents had.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a loud, blaring horn. Following it was a horrible screech as her eyes stood witness to a car crashing right into a girl crossing the road.

'It can't be.. it can't be!', her mind shrieked as she sprinted towards the body, which was now surrounded in blood.

As she moved the brown locks of the girl's hair away from her face, she was stunned.

She screamed for help as people finally started to crowd around them. At last an ambulance was called.

When it finally arrived, she quietly slipped through the scene, putting her hope in the people hawking at the girl to do whatever they can to save her. She didn't have the nerve to stay there a moment longer.

"Why are you so late? First, we let you in, and then this attitude! How dare you?", her mother yelled at her and pulled her in by grabbing her arm.

As she stumbled in, she was yet again, in the hands of her father who dragged her to the kitchen table. He threw her in a seat and sat at the chair opposite her.

" Where were you?", his calm voice ripped through the air.
"A-at school, I got caught u-up in a p-project."

"You are a terrible liar."

Her father, showing no signs of mercy dragged her to the basement and handcuffed her yet again to the wall. She had to keep standing, with shaky legs or else the metal would skin her already bruised wrists.

Messed up in a way. Trapped once again.

When she was alone again, she thought about what else could go wrong today. 'I was this close.... this close to seeing Fawn die.' Even though the girl who had become victim to the accident wasn't Fawn, but she didn't care of the fact. Leah knew she had to do what she did.

And with no regrets, now she suffered.

She woke up when she felt her body sliding down the wall, and her hands falling by her sides.

Through hooded eyes, she should see someone lowering her body gently down to the ground. A second later, she felt as if she was in air, but just as soon as the feeling came, it was gone and was replaced by the feeling of the soft material of the couch beneath her.

Finally, after much effort, she opened her eyes fully to see clearly, but she found herself alone again.

What was happening? Who was helping her? How did they break in the basement, it was locked!

Before her mind could quarrel among its own thoughts, she laid down and tried falling asleep again.

It never came.

Time passed, and the sun was up again.

She knew if she was found free of her bounds, she would be put under harder interrogation. So she quickly slipped her wrists back in the hand cuffs, locking her in a standing position.

After minutes what felt like prolonged hours in the morning, someone opened the door.
It was her mother. To fool her, Leah knew she didn't need to master the art of pretending, her mother didn't have keen eyes.

So putting on a face of agony and pure weariness, she looked at her mother as she walked towards her.

After staring at her for a solid minute, her mother quietly opened her handcuffs and walked away, without another word.

Gathering up all her strength to walk, she searched for paper and a pen; she was determined in knowing who was always there when she was in pain.

After finding a piece of parchment and a pen from under the couch, she quickly scribbled a sentence. A question.

Hoping it would be answered, she left the basement.

Heyy! We are nearing the ..... I was about to spoil.😉
Please bear with me.