36. The Shattered Me

"How long will it take?"
"She was stabbed, Alex. She will take as long as you can spare her."

A silence that Leah decided not to break followed, as she continued to stare mindlessly at the unfamiliar ceiling, having been awake for a few minutes now.

"Let me see those.", the unfamiliar voice said.
"I am fine." Alex's low, relentless voice cut through.

She closed her eyes. A sigh ensued. No further comments.

Then impatient tapping of boots could be heard. A decision was made, and then before she knew it, she could hear the sound of a door creaking.

 "Where are you going now?"

"To clean up the mess... and to take care of him. Look after her and don't let her out of your sight, even for a moment."  As Alex's stiff but clear cut words sang through the air, the conversation took a more quiet route.

It was very faint but Leah was sure she heard him say thank you, which was ensued by a soft laugh which came from whoever Alex was talking to, whoever he has been talking to every time she wakes up like this.

The door then closed, announcing the departure of one and stay of the other.

It was long after the door had shut that she decided to open her eyes again. While she tried to make sense of her surroundings, a small face popped into her view and smiled down at her.

"So you are finally awake. Let me help you up."
He propped up the pillows behind her and by her shoulder, helped her against them.

But in her dazed rush, she moved too fast, the sudden movement shot a wave of pain down her back and she groaned.

"You took a hard blow, be very careful."

After she had recovered from the shock, she sat up and stared at her hands up and down,  connected with tons of tubes, one of which she was sure was an IV drip, and God knows what else.

He broke off her attention when he mumbled to himself, all he while he brooded over some papers in his hands. Now that Leah was looking at him up close, she could see his features more profoundly; caramel coloured hair decorated his forehead, while his light brown eyes shone in the hospital lights, shielded by his glasses. He had thicker lips compared to Alex's and broader shoulders, which highlighted his entire figure. He stood tall and lean, adorning just a simple blue striped t-shirt and white pants behind his doctor's coat.

To be precise, he was extremely handsome.

He must have noticed Leah gawking at him with her big, blue eyes, because his eyes widened as he finally realised why she was looking at him with such curiosity. 

"Oh! Forgive me for forgetting to introduce myself. I am Jay, short for Jayrick. I am Alex's best friend."   He looked down at himself.

"And a doctor."

"I..I sense another 'and' c-coming."
The statement widened his smile, as if he had expected her to guess it.

"And.. a shapeshifter." , his voice trailed off as Leah witnessed his body transform into a more leaner figure, if that was even possible, thinner lips and nose, sharp blue eyes, and jet black hair; it didn't take her long to realise that Leah could now only see Alex standing in front of her as if he had appeared out of thin air, and the person who stood there before was never there in the first place.

"Y-you can... you c-can..." 

Leah couldn't bring herself to say it, she was speechless. She never thought she'd live to see anyone who was not either a human or a vampire.