Francis's POV

written by xxRebeccaxxGailxx

The world's a lie. My life is... pointless.

~*~

        I was trembling. The sounds of clashes, groans and shouting filling my ears didn't ease my fear. Gillian crouched next to me, breath hitched, eyes wide.

        "FRANCIS *hic*, GET YOUR *censored* here! *hic*"

        A slurred voice boomed. Gillian bit her lip and slowly opened the door. We tip-toed and leaned on the banister, looking downwards. The same man with shaggy disgustingly greasy blonde hair from before was here, holding a bottle half full of wine, vin, as I would say in my mother tongue. It was good wine, from France 2003, but I doubt the man knew. He was too drunk out of his mind to appreciate.

        "Gillian. You ought to run," I whispered, as I began to look for my precious foil. Gillian shot me a glare.

        If looks could kill, I suppose I'll be whimpering and withering on the floor by now.

        "Shut up. Who do you think I am? I'm staying, nǐ zhè ge --" she hissed, stopping herself when she nearly started to curse me out in Chinese.

        The man was staggering up the stairs by now. Gillian gave me a look, and I knew what it meant. I've seen it countless times before, when we both used to play 'pirates'.

        "Aye, captain!" I softly murmured to myself and unsheathed my foil from its cradle. It gleamed dangerously, flashing silver. The man was getting nearer. I took a deep breath.

        Gillian suddenly rushed to the man and landed a square punch on his nose. 'Ouch' I thought.

        What happened next was not according to plan.

        The man took out a cutlass and swiped Gillian on the neck so she lost balance. Ahe fell backwards, but didn't land before making a swift kick to his back.

        I ran forward and took off the nozzle that blocked the blade's tip. The sharp, needle-like tip was revealed and I struck. Right at the man's heart.

        The blade didn't pierce through the heart. I stopped just when I heard a sickening crunch of bones. I withdrawn my bloody foil. Oh lord, blood... Merde.

        The man, still clutching the bottle was lying on the floor, but grinning like an imbecile. I growled when he spat to the side on the oak floorboards.

        "*hic* Ha! You foolish scumbag! Your mother *hic* was as stuuu----- pid." he slurred. Gillian got up and kicked him.

        "Shut up!" she said in Cantonese angrily. I didn't know what it mean but I was glad there was someone to help, even if they saw my 'unmanly' side.

        The man just let out a raspy laugh.

        "You'll die in the lake, you savvy!"

        Blood oozed out from the ghastly wound.

        I winced but was more interested in his words.

        "What do you mean, you drunktard!?"

        "*hic..." he said no more.

        I cleaned my weapon with a tissue as Gillian checked his pockets for other lethal things.

        "Should we call the police, mon cher?"

        "But you'll get in trouble."

        "No, we'll explain it as self- defence."

        Gillian dialled.

        As we waited, Gillian asked, "Hey, Francis, you never told me this guy was your father."

        I bowed my head as I gritted my teeth.

        "My adopted father," I corrected, "he's a shame."

        Gillian patted my back, "I'm sorry. I suppose it would have been better if we took up the offer of going to Ana's when we left the hospital."

        I eyed the motionless body as police sirens blared.

        "What's done is done.But the lake..."

        "There's only one lake here. The billionaire's."

        We looked at each other with a grin, despite our ruffled clothes and flushes faces.

        Great minds think alike.

        "I'll ring up my mom and tell her we're having a sleepover. Hang on there."

        As she went back to my room to phone her mother, I went to answer the door. Police's here.

        One thought swirled in my mind,

                We're going to get to the bottom of the lake mystery.