Francis's POV

written by xxRebeccaxxGailxx

Focus, aim, attack. Be of noble opponent.

My fencing teacher, my mother's last words to me.

~*~

        The ceiling stared into my eyes.

        I glared back with just as much force.

        Yes, I was holding a one-sided staring competition with the ceiling to vent off my anger.

        "Psst, Francis." Urgh, wait a minute, Gillian, I'm thinking.

        My hands were placed idly behind my head in a relaxed stance but inside my gears were moving so rapidly that I swear I could burst.

        "Mister Francis Kruk*."

        Oh, the teacher's what Gillian's trying to warn me about.

        My eyes shifted to the teacher, Miss Angelina, and I gave her a smile. At the corner of my eye, I spied Analisa, Gillian stifling a chuckle and Dan rolling his eyes. They know my antics.

        "'ow can I 'elp you, mademoiselle?" I asked, my French accent making girls swoon a bit. The Geography teacher looked a bit flustered as well. Hehe. I haven't played this trick quite a while.

        "I- I was a-asking..."

        Oh, stuttering? How cute. I laughed drily in my head.

        "Oui, mon petit lapin?" 

        Okay, calling a teacher a rabbit is forbidden, but I use my French to the extent, non? She blushed scarlet.

        "S-see me a-after class, Francis."

        "Always a pleasure, professor," I replied.

        Boys in the classroom flashed grins at me, obviously amused except for Carvol. Girls were what Tree would call 'fangirling'. Ha. I felt my smile stretched a bit, feeling confident.

        Gillian was observing Carvol, just as we agreed. I was spying on Rex, who was just three seats away from me. He and Carvol looked disturbed by my trick. Odd. Better check on those two. They are THE Bullies.

        The Bullies at school are the power force at school and The Prefects, the other force. Teachers are basically useless, I knew that much. My eyes caught a girl still staring at me with a silly love-struck look, almost like Tree's. I flashed my pearly whites and gave her a wink. She had a nosebleed. Jesus. I cringed and continued to stare into space, thinking of the lake and the thick veil of questions surrounding it.

~*~

In third person's point of view

        At the canteen, Tree, Analisa, Dianne, Gillian, Francis and Thorin stood, with Analisa at the head of the table. Dan had wandered off to God-knows-where. She was holding a cup filled with canberry juice, pretending it was wine. Everyone had the same juice in the same kind of goblet.

        "Toast to Francis, who has regained his flirty nature and charms. Even if he is a player, a well-known and loved one at that, we all wish that he shall find his 'amor' one day!"

        They cheered and emptied their goblets, Dianne giggled and said, "By the way, I actually think Francis's true love is here~" Thorin choked as Gillian blushed feverishly. Tree was too busy noticing Analisa and Francis was oblivious.

        "Quoi? Perhaps. But--" Francis was cut off.

        "Francis, your meeting with Miss Angelina went well?" Gillian interjected. Everybody just smirked, though some felt sorry about Gillian's one-sided love.

        "Women... no, just some women are so easily woved. The art of seduction is lost..."

        "Francis," said a strong voice that held authority. They turnd to see their Headmaster, tall and looming above them. He handed a crisp white envelope to the French.

        "You are to become head prefect again. I trust that you can handle that."

        Francis's heart leapt with overwhelming joy. He bowed as the Headmaster strode away.

        He tore off the envelope seal. The certificate and a badge rolled out onto the table.

        He proudly pinned the badge on his navy-blackish blazer. The badge bore the school's 'coat of arms' and 'head prefect' in a flowing French script. He grinned.

        Gillian met him dead in the eye and they share a look.

        Power was back in his hands and he would solve the mystery of the 'por-lake'. He had the sneakiest suspicion he knew and somebody else in their group knew. So, he decided to keep it between him and his best chum. For now.

_____________________________________________________________________________
* Kruk is the surname of Francis's mother. He hates his dad's guts.