"I lost my best friend that day"

Taylor's POV

I sighed as I prepared myself to tell Billie about ghost.
"Ghost was my service dog... and a fucking incredible one at that. She's the reason I'm still alive.." i trailed off as I swallowed hard trying to steady my breathing.
Billie laid there still looking at my eyes nodding as she let me continue
"We were on deployment in Iraq..looking for IED's. That was our job.. she'd sniff them out and I would disarm them. We had to be really careful any time we left the base because they were always on the main roads and trails where supply trucks would deliver things to the main base. The thing is... they were never the same type of bomb. Some were made out of old car batteries, others were as simple as a old cell phone taped to wires and explosives." My mind flashed back to that time as if it were only yesterday. I could still feel the harsh sun as the wind blew dust and sand against my face.
I sighed again. Billie was watching me carefully, never interrupting as she took in everything I was saying.
"One day I wasn't paying enough attention as we walked on one of the dirt roads... it happened in a split second.. but I stood on a land mine that had been buried deep below the surface. It was one of those ones that reacted to pressure and would only set off when you stepped off. Ghost started going crazy and pushed me away. She took in most of the blast...I was hit by some fragments of the mine" I pointed to the scar that was through my eyebrow "but ghost... she..she died on impact.... I lost my best friend that day.. and I can never repay her for the debt I owe. She saved my life" I finished, feeling my eyes start to pool slightly. I fought back the tears, clearing my throat and still looking up at the ceiling.
Billie readjusted herself on my chest and softly kissed the inked writing on my chest
"Thankyou Ghost" she whispered sweetly
I looked into her eyes giving her a sweet but sad smile. I didn't want to speak anymore about the subject knowing I would cry if I did.
"Thankyou for telling me" she said earnestly. She could tell I didn't want to continue talking on the subject and stretched up, kissing me softly and cupping my cheek with her hand.
She lay her head back down on my chest and began tracing my tattoos again. We lay like that for a little while not saying anything, just enjoying each others company.
Suddenly my stomach growled angrily, earning a loud chuckle from both of us
"Let's get you fed mamas" billie laughed, jumping up out of bed
She must be hungry too
I groaned loudly, earning another laugh and eye roll from her as she offered me her hand helping me out of bed
I stopped her at the door, pulling her in for a quick kiss which she happily obliged wrapping her arms around my neck and pressing her lips against mine, smiling sweetly
"Mmm Baby I'm never going to get tired of that" she mumbled into my lips in between kisses

———————————————————————
Sorry this chapter is short! I didn't want to overload this chapter with too much going on though since it's a more tender 'scene'
I'm trying really hard to paint a good visual image for you guys too so I hope my descriptions are okay :)
Thanks for voting and reading! Love you all!