Chapter 34: A perfect night for a storm

Travis falls hard into a deep muddy ditch. If it is not for the rain that made the ground soft, Travis could have been even more injured. He tries to move himself to sit up, thrashing hard on the muddy ground trying to find a way to break free, though to no avail. He tries to breathe a little as he pushes himself up despite being tied up. He sniffs in a little muddy water causing him to choke as a result. He coughs profusely  as his body tries to fight for fresh air.

"Focus. Don't panic." He tells himself.

He looks around the dark hole and sees a little pole suspended from the ground. If Cory had pushed him further into the ditch, Travis could have been impaled by the sharp end of the metal rod.

"Should we kill him?" Travis hears Michael ask Cory.

"No, let him suffer. The muddy earth will bury him under. Let him squirm." Cory says.

Travis begins to hear the group leave and because of this, it gives him a chance to try and break free. He goes near the rod using every part of his muscle to move his body closer. Giving up is not in his mindset. however, for the first time in his life, he feels he is going to meet his doom. At one point, he tells him body to move but already his body freezes. He begins to go crazy, trying every inch to move. Unfortunately for him the rain in the ditch is starting to form a pool and for a slight moment he begins to panic as he has no way to breath. He then struggles again and manages to loosen the cloth from his mouth. He again tries to pull his body up but to no avail. He tries to scream only to form bubbles around his mouth from the pool of dark muddy water. He unintentionally inhales water and with that he continues to choke. Travis is at his point of no return but miraculously a hand grabs him and puts him up. He coughs and vomits out the water. He attemps to look at the face of his savior.

"Are you okay, Mr. Gray?" Doris asks.

She together with Hayden manages to untie Travis. They assist the boy to stand and after Hayden boosts Doris up from the ditch. Hayden looks at Travis signaling him to go up next.

"Your turn." Hayden tells Travis as he boosts the boy up who is then assisted by Doris.

After awhile the two begin to assist Hayden up. They then head towards the cemented portion of the construction site where they try to talk to Travis.

"Travis, do you know where they took Cady?" Hayden asks.

"I don't know." Travis replies to him as he leans towards the wall to catch his breath.

As Travis rests and regains the strength he lost. He continues to talk.

"How did you find me?" Travis asks them.

"I went with Cady, but after I saw trouble, I tried to call for help, but with this rain, none of the police would help us. Even the admin is not responding.

In reality, the police has more concerns. Most of them are called to the outer ring of the city where a breakout has happened. With the rains pouring down, thunder storms striking in every directions the Decays have a frenzy of optical distractions. They run around while looking at their wide open surroundings as if they are celebrating the storm. Each lightning bold and thunder sounds attracts them to follow it. They are obsessed to find its source.

"Can I borrow your phone?" Travis asks Doris.

While Travis calls someone on the phone, Hayden and Doris begin to think on where Cady could be.

Not long, Ronald and Alex come to the construction site with fresh clothes for their friends.

"What are you wearing?" Ronald asks his sister who happened to be wearing her beautiful black dress.