Chapter 19: Initiation

After a long week of classes and cleaning up duty. Cady is feeling relieved that she can finally get to her room and relax. As usual she walks alone to the girls dormitory as Latoya, Celery and Kathleen seldom do the work that they are suppose to do. Occasionally Hayden accompanies her to her dormitory. Regardless of their absence, Cady finds great joy working extra hours with Hayden, Murdoch and Ronald. None of them seem to be lazy and they pull their own weight. They occasionally play around a bit but after awhile they would get back to their work. It is a lot better than having the cool girls and Alpha boys joining. After the bus incident, there has always been some division with the cool kids and Cady's group. It becomes apparent that the two groups can no longer work together so the cool kids decided that they would only work when they feel like it and if they were ever caught. They could care less about the consequences.

Luckily, the janitor that constantly monitored them during the first few days of the punishment began to be more and more complacent. He would simply tell them to finish their work and leave them alone without any supervision. Everyone knows this particular janitor is notorious for going home early and when he does go and leaves them, the cool kids would pack up their things and leave as well. Cady, Hayden, Murdoch and Ronald could join them but their daily tasks vary from cleaning classrooms, throwing away trash and many other janitorial work leave them to be too busy to be complacent. Even if the Janitor leaves early, he will still always make a report to the principal about the teenagers work to the principal, so there is no way that they can just leave their task undone.

Ronald sometimes tries to convince the others to rat out the cool kids but Hayden disagrees with idea. Hayden thinks It is best to stay away from the cool kids as much as possible as they most often complain and they hardly do any work anyway. The less problems they have with them the better. Cady knows that Hayden and Michael are not in speaking terms so she also agrees to let it pass as she knows the two boys are most likely to fight it out.

As they are finishing up for this particular day, they begin to talk about the incident that happened last Wednesday evening. Thought one week has passed the rumors and conversations about the event are still the talk of the school.

Murdoch begins to bring out his phone. "I have a video on this." He tells them.

The video is about a couple of girls who notice a bizarre looking stranger banging on a door. As they sneak in for a better look. They see a girl. They are very hesitant to approach her as they are speculating to each other if she is a Decay or not. It becomes apparent to them that the girl is a Decay when it starts clawing at the door. Cady watches the video and instantly gets a chill running down her spine.

"No bit marks, interesting." Hayden says.

Cady begins to observe the girl further and notices that the girl has a messy Frida Kahlo hairstyle.

"Look, her hairstyle. She a Bravo girl." Cady tells them as she explains the hair style to them.

"You're right." Hayden replies.

"And, since she still wears that hairstyle, I'm guessing she is still a first year student. I doubt she the older girls wear this style anymore." Cady says.

"Ya that and if you're a popular Bravo girl." Hayden comments.

"What's that suppose to mean?" Cady asks him, making the other two boys kept silent.

"I'm just saying that you are hanging out with those Echo girls too much." Hayden explains.

"I'm hanging out with you guys now. Doesn't this count as having other friends besides the Echo girls?"

"You're right. I was just joking." Hayden replies.

Being tired from her long week with school work and cleaning duties, Cady is not in the mood for jokes. She bids the boys goodbye and goes on her way. Hayden goes after her and tries to explain that he is only joking and offers to accompany her back to her dormitory. She accepts his apology but tells him that she wants to go back alone.