Chapter 12: Transition

Three weeks pass and everything is starting to become stable again. After the media scrutinies the school for so long and angry parents threatening to close it down, the school somehow manages to survive. Within only three weeks, the once silent school becomes buzzing with cheers and laughters from all the students. People again start making friends and the normality of life starts to come back.

It's a cloudy day today , there is no rain nor any sunshine. The scenery is gloomy yet people are happy.

On the campus cafe, Cady is seen reading a news article from the campus newspaper. It takled on the campus school bus that never made it to the school. The article is very precise and makes people think of what could have happened to it and who really was at fault. Cady could even hear a few students talking about it from other tables. At the bottom of the article, it reads 'By: Doris Gupta'.

Cady then smiles a bit and remembers Doris. After a few minutes, Cady hears the loud ringing noise from her cellphone that slightly startles her. "Gosh, I really have to change my ringtone and message alarm" She tells herself. Cady then reads the text.

"Hi Cady, how are you? I haven't heard from you in awhile, I hope you are doing okay. I miss you my friend. By the way, have you seen the news article I wrote on our campus news paper? Finally I made it. Thanks to you my friend".

Cady smiles after reading the text from Doris. Cady has stopped meeting with Doris and the rest of Hayden's gang ever since the awkward moment where Hayden and her almost kissed.

Ever since she hung out with Gloria and Latoya, Cady has no time meeting up with Doris nor to herself. Being in the popular group, she has to deal with the responsibilities of being famous. She has to be on call for Gloria, she has to listen to and give advise on all the problem some of the other Echo girls are having. The only time Cady and Doris get a chance to communicate is through text messages. Cady then remembers the first few times Doris reached out to her asking for advice on how to get in the journalism club. It is actually a hard club to get in. Usually the ones who run the newspapers are the Delta students but rumors have it that they are actually being runes by some Echos and Hotels who help finance their schooling, that is why there are a lot of articles about business, lifestyle & fashion and all the Echo and Hotel news are all very positive.

Cady then reminsces the infamous call she received from Doris, where Doris was crying because she was finally let in the club after many attempts. It was actually the first time that a girl from India was let in. During the conversation Doris asked Cady what she had to do next. The very last time Cady and Doris got a chance to talk was when their teacher in science class was absent and most of the students had left. It was an opportunity for Cady to talk to Doris without Gloria pressuring her to follow her around. During that time she gave a few pointers on some writing techniques she learned before. Cady told Doris that if ever she would be writing an article she should try her best to answer the who, what, where, when, why and how, also known as the five wives and one husband. This would somehow cover all the lose ends of a story. Lastly she told Doris that it was very important to capture the readers attention, making them think as well as making them enjoy the article. After that talk Cady never got a chance to talk to Doris again.

It was so rewarding for Cady to finally read an article from Doris, since Doris was already ready to quit when the head of the school paper did not think she could make it.

It was because of Cady's inspiring messages that helped Doris keep going and reach her dream. Cady also made sure that whenever she texted Doris she would text her in complete sentences and check if every punctuation was in place. She wanted to set a good example for Doris.

After reading Doris' article, Cady goes to the fashion and lifestyle portion of the newspaper. It seems to be the page that most of the teenage girls read about regardless of the city they come from. It is mostly fashion trends made by the Echo girls written by genuine Echo girls themselves. It is writen cleaverly and filled with eye catchy and funny facts about certain popular people at school. It also seems that the page has the juiciest stories about who is dating who, who wore it best and many other cleaver topics.