Chapter 27: Waiting

After a whole day, Travis is doing his best to take care of the sickly Cady. At this point, Travis has given Cady all sorts of medicine to keep her fever in check and her bite from swelling up. Both teenagers missed school today. 

At the beginning Cady refused to lay herself in bed which Travis offered. She kept thinking about her pain and the venom of the infection circling her body. In about an hour she started to burn up and had no more energy to sit on the chair. Travis quickly untied her and allowed her to rest on his bed. It was not until morning the next day that Cady wakes up feeling her strength back. She looks around the messy room and gets startled, forgetting that she is not in her dormitory room no longer. Having some energy and no signs of a fever, she begins to clean herself up in Travis' bathroom. 

"The bite mark." Cady tells herself as she looks at her wound. She begins to tear up a little for getting beaten .

The wound is still healing and luckily no chunks of flesh were ripped apart. Cady is luck to be alive and she began to thank life itself for giving her a chance to live. She began to think about her parents and her friends for awhile and then began to focus more on what she need to do that day. She planned to head out to school and talk to the group about the killings. She leaves the bathroom door and looks around Travis' room. Everything is a mess, the room is worse then her room on a bad day. She began to think that if ever he and Gloria had something in common it would be a messy room.

As she waits for Travis to arrive, she takes the initiative to clean up. She begins to clean his bed and remove all sorts of crumbs out. After cleaning the bed, she begins to go threw the boys clothes. She began separating the dirty pile from the still wearable pile. In a cabinet, Cady sees the boys clean clothes. It seems that even though Travis is very messy he did have at least a good set of clean clothes. Cady finds a huge plastic bag were she begins to use it to throw all sorts of trash, from dog food bits to crumpled paper. This is nothing she is not use to. She is so use to cleaning up her room after she gets into an argument with her mother and since she once roomed with Gloria, she was allowed to wear some of her clothes as long as she fixed Gloria's bed and folded her clothes. 

As Cady cleaned around, she felt her stomach growling. Just in time, Travis enters the room holding a bag of food and a dog leash on another.

"Hey, you're better. I thought you might need this." Travis hands her the paper bag.

"Thanks. I was getting hungry. Cute dog by the way." Cady replies.

Travis begins to introduce his one year old german shepherd named 'Zeus'. He explained that his dog still needed a lot of training before it could become a police dog. For the meantime, he allowed Zeus to be a playful puppy. With Travis introducing his dog to Cady, Zeus grew fond of her very quickly,  sniffing her and licker her from time to time.

"I thought you might need some company, so I brought my buddy up here for you." Travis tells Cady as he begins to mess up the dogs fur on its head for fun.

"He is very cute."

"You don't have to clean my room you know. A cleaning lady comes up here once in awhile to clean my room."

"Have mercy on her soul then." Cady tells him as she arranges some of his books in order.

Travis begins to pull up a chair were Cady could sit and eat her food at a desk.

"Tuna, how did you know?" Cady asks in surprise.

"Just eat it." Travis tells her.

Travis begins to open one of his drawers and pulls out some dog food snacks for Zeus. As he holds the food, he instructs his pet to do some basic tricks like sit or shake hands. The puppy does obey his commands and with that gets its reward.