Chapter 31: National Library

Cady and Doris are brought back to the campus by Roger, the driver by the van. It is highly unusual for kids to be dropped by a police van campus because of what people might think but Roger made an exception and luckily his presence did not get any attention. As he drops the two girls off, he promises do what Chief Taylor told him and that he them if they needed anything in the future. They say their goodbyes and Cady and Doris walk to a sidewalk near the open field of the campus. There, they see Ronald who is more that willing to give his youngest sister a hug.

"Did you guys tell Star the bad news?" Cady asks Ronald.

There is a slight pause on what he wanted to say but then he muttered "No, we couldn't. I don't know how to tell her."

Cady gives Ronald a hug and for some reason begins to tear up after she remembers Yoshi dying. The scene of him weak and bloody is still very fresh in her mind and has been playing over and over again in her head. There is also the sigh of Murdoc and Celery's body as well as the Chief's death that contributed to her pain but she did not want to share it with him just yet. All Cady could say is "Sorry, I tried to help" as if she is still talking to Yoshi, Murdoc, Celery and the Chief. Ronald call it a night, hoping that Star does not get to confront the traumatized girls just yet, he then instructs Doris to bring Cady back to the girls dormitory to rest. Unfortunately, Hayden, Alex and Star see them coming from the direction of the Campus Cafe.

"Yoshi, where's Yoshi? Star says as she hurriedly runs to where Cady is.

Cady and Doris begin to approach her and judging from Cady's eyes Star could already conclude something bad has happened to Yoshi.

"What happened to him? Star asks looking back and forth at Cady and Doris.

Cady looks at Doris at first thinking that she would answer Star but the girl seems like she could not utter anything at the moment. Cady begins to look at Star to talks.

"Star, I'm sorry, Yoshi, his dead." Cady answers her in a very sympathetic voice.

Star pauses and keeps quiet as tears star to drip down from her eyes. Doris tries to approach her, opening her arms to give the a hug but Star waves her hand signaling that she did not want to get touched. Ronald pulls back his sister and she begins to hug him instead, burying her face into his shirt. 

"Tell me what happened." Star asks.

"We went to the morgue and we split up because..." Cady replies but from what she said Star interrupts her.

"You guys were suppose to stay together right. I asked him to take care of both of you and I thought you would look after him as well." 

"We did, We did stay together at first but the Chief of police split our group and before long we were chased by this crazy decay." Cady replies.

"I don't know what to say or ask." Star replies as she looks at the people around her.

Star leaves the group removing all of the "Cradle of Life" cards from her pocket that she won for Yoshi. Alex picks the cards up and tells the group that he would return it to her once she gets better. Hayden approaches Cady and they begin to hug.

"I haven't seen you for a long time. Where did you run off too? and why did you go to the morgue?" Hayden asks her as he looks at her face.

Cady moves away from him and thinks about what she wants to tell him. She wants to tell him everything from the beginning revealing that she is bitten but thought that she still wants to keep it a secret. All Cady explained is that she had something to do and the reason why she volunteered to go to the morgue was to get some evidence pinpointing what could be the cause of death for the victims of the school killings.