Heartbeat | Love

Song Recommendation: Afterlife –  Hailee Steinfeld

-

In the dark blue hue of the decaying dorm, a single candle provides a gentle illumination of the space occupied by the two young lovers.

It's not enough to drench the room in light, yet it's soft glow caresses the nearby walls and boarded up windows. Uncovering the heavy darkness and painting shadows on the floor. On the bed beside the candle lies a figure, still and quiet under the night that weighs heavy on the room.

She's watching the younger girl sleeping by her side, one hand absentmindedly brushing through her girlfriend's brunette ringlets. Violet's careful not to awaken Clementine, aware of the stress that's plagued her mind since she was bitten and lost her lower leg. Violet gingerly reaches out and touches her girlfriend's forehead, smiling as she watches the worry lines previously lining her skin fade away as Clementine relaxes in her slumber.

Violet feels her heart fill with warmth as she studies Clementine, her delicate features, sculpted bone structure and soft skin. She doesn't know how she got this lucky. Beneath her Clementine stirs as she awakens, blinking as she adjusts to the low light and smiling as she admires Violet by her side.

"Are you watching me sleep?" she says with a smile, closing her eyes once more as she yawns and stretches her arms above her head.

"A little," replies Violet into the quietness of the room, "you're so beautiful I can't help it. And it's been so long since I've seen you look so peaceful."

Clementine nods as she nestles closer to Violet, placing the flat of her palm against her girlfriend's chest, just below her collar bone. The blonde feels her heartbeat quicken at the sensation of the skin on skin contact.

"I don't know what it feels like to not be stressed anymore," she says as she re-opens her eyes and looks up at Violet. They're ever so close, if Clementine wanted to, she could breach the gap between them and kiss her.

"Well, you didn't look worried then, when you were sleeping," replies Violet as she continues to stroke Clementine's hair.

"That's because I'm here with you. You're looking after me," says Clementine, noting the small blush that appears on the bridge of Violet's nose. A faint pink dusting that coats her cheeks, it's hard to make it out under the dim light. Violet tilts her chin in an attempt to hide her face in the fabric of Clementine's t-shirt. The brunette smiles and places two fingers beneath Violet's chin, once more revealing her face.

"You're so wonderful Violet, thank you for being here for me," says Clementine groggily, the remnants of sleep laced in her voice.

Violet frowns as she looks deep into Clementine's eyes, her eyebrows creased in worry. "I was really scared I would lose you," she mutters. "I'm still worried I might lose you."

"Don't," says Clementine softly, "I'm right here."

Violet frowns, not feeling reassured by her girlfriend's answer, "you were bit Clem, I came so close to losing you forever."

Clementine moves even closer to Violet, her hand still pressed against her girlfriend's skin. Her fingers brush against Violet's clavicle before moving to her neck where her digits feel out a path to the nape of her neck. "I'm never leaving you," she says, looking deeply into green irises shrouded by the darkness. "Not now that I've found you."

"One day you will," says Violet with sadness tainting her voice. Clementine recoils slightly with a frown tugging on her mouth.

"Vi," she says softly as she once more closes the distance between them. This time Clementine presses a soft kiss against Violet's mouth, hoping that the action will reassure her of their newfound stability.