Working on a Project: Vinny

"Do we have to ask him for help?" he asks, sounding like a whining child.

I look at Vinny. "Okay, we will work on this project without the help of the godlike being that is slowly killing us."

"Well it seems like a good idea to go the opposite direction of where he wanted to be." Vinny smiles. But it's not a real smile, it's just a ghost. A facade made to make me feel better.

"This is important, Vin," I say.

"I know. I just don't think we need Habit's help."

"Why not?" I jump in surprise and he grins. His expression is dark, and it doesn't reach his eyes, but he is obviously reveling in not giving a damn. "I can be helpful. What is it that you need help with, Vin? Your homework?"

"Fuck this," Vinny says quietly, getting up and leaving.

I sigh and Habit rises.

"You get the fuck back here, Vinny. Or things might get a little ugly," he says.

"Don't you threaten her," Vinny snarls.

"Guys," I say. "Please, don't. We need to get this stuff together and we need to cooperate."

We set up our stuff again, and Vinny and I work on an anti-possession thing for Evan, to try and get him back before Habit Kills us all.

Habit keeps pretending to throw pencils at Vinny. Then, as we both work, Habit teleports behind Vinny and rubs his back. Then he dislocates Vinny's shoulder.

And when Vin screamed, I think it will stay with me forever. I stumble back from the two of them. Habit whirls on me. His rage is so strong in his eyes that it shakes my very soul.

"Don't you think that maybe I'd figure out what you are doing and maybe I'd be pissed?"

"You're right, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, Habit."

"It was my idea. Don't hurt her, she was just doing what I asked of her."

"Give me a good reason not to kill her, right here, and right now," Habit growls.

"She is an extra pair of hands, eyes, and ears. She's clever, and she's loyal, she's my world."

Habit sighs. "... we can't have that."

"What?"

"You think that the world cares about you? About your wants and desires?" Habit makes a rude sexual gesture at him. "You think you could just say "oh she's my world" and that'd be okay?"

"I'm sorry," Vinny says. "Please, please don't hurt her."

"You really had me, Vinny. You really did. Sorry, y/n, you drew the short end of the stick."

He walks over to me. I don't cry, I look him right in the eyes.

"You have my respect, y/ n."

And then he snaps my neck, and my world fades to the sound of Vinny screaming my name.