All Good Things: Jeff (sorta)

This will not be a clean cut of what transpired in All Good Things. BUT this will spoil the ending for EMH, so reader beware. In this idea (which I came up with) you will be the girlfriend of Jeff. But at this point in the series (SPOILERS) Jeff is dead. So I hope you enjoy.

"Habit? Vinny?" I ask, looking over at the two of them. They're out in the backyard of the house, both of them are arguing with each other about something.

I walk closer, and realize Vinny's holding a gun. He presses the barrel into Habit's back. He holds it there, and I feel a mix of fear and wanting, but what is it I'm wanting?

I'm wanting for Vinny to kill the sick son of a bitch who killed Jeff. I'm wanting that gun to myself  -  so I can be the one to avenge Jeff.

But as I'm watching from the porch, as one of Habit's creatures is lurking nearby with a camera, I see his shoulders sag and then he stumbles. Then, when he turns around, I gasp.

It's Evan! I thought he was gone forever.  I thought ...

They are suddenly fighting each other. Fear sparks in my heart, and I run over to the two of them. Evan whips his head up and glares at me.

"Get the fuck away!" he shouts.

I stop and back up, but not too far away. He looks back at Vinny, and I look at his bruised, glasses-less face. The two of them are fighting and there seems to be nothing I can do to stop either of them.

"He showed me everything! You sick son of a bitch," Evan growls.

"No, it's not real. Evan, it's  -"

He starts to choke Vinny. I take off running, slamming into Evan, knocking him off Vinny. Vinny gasps for breath as Evan recovers. Then, he lunges at Vinny again, not paying me any mind.

"Evan! Leave him alone!" I cry. "This is what they want. You're giving them exactly what they want!"

"I don't care," he growls. "I have to do this."

"No, you don't," I say.

"Back up!" he yells.

Vinny tackles him. For a little bit, they wrestle each other and I cannot stop either of them. Then, I start to be able to decipher what they're saying to each other.

"... but I'm the monster!" Vinny yells.

Evan starts to throw up again, as Vinny starts to limp towards him. He's got a broken leg now, and I just stand there, not knowing what is even happening. I run to Vinny, but he shrugs me off and keeps advancing on Evan.

"Oh fuck that hurts! Holy shit! Oh, fuck ..." Evan pants. He struggles to stand, and as he does, I try to get Vinny to stop again.

"Stay back, y/n!" he yells.

"Leave ... her.... alone ..." Evan gasps. "I think ... I think I'm dyin! I think I'm fucking dying!"

Vinny walks forward as best he can, holding his gun. I just stare in horror as this all unfolds.

What do I want to happen here? Do I want them to kill each other? Or do I want Vinny to just kill Evan, and thus, Habit?

"Yeah. You probably are. But what do I care? I'm just a fucking monster! Right? That's what you said. You're the one who tried to save Jeff. You're the one who tried to save Alex. You're the one who tried to save ... you. I'm the one who ate the baby. I'm the monster -  I'm the monster!"

"I'm gonna fucking kill you," Evan growls.

Vinny pumps the gun. "Yeah, well, fuck you."

Evan starts to charge at Vinny, but he shoots Evan in the gut with his gun, knocking Evan against a tree. Evan slumps to the ground hard. It's now raining ... how fitting, really.

"It didn't have to be like this," Vinny says sadly.

"Guys, this is what they want! Don't do this!" I exclaim.

Evan grabs the knife from the ground. He's still coughing up blood. "Ah shit. I told you I was gonna kill you, Vinny."

"Come on, it's over."

Evan gasps and then smiles, raising the knife.

"What're you gonna do?" Vinny asks.

"Just come a little closer to me ... "

They both dissolve into laugher. Then, Evan chucks the knife at Vinny. Vinny gasps at the sound of the blade hitting something in the distance.

Evan smiles. "Did I get him?"

Vinny holds his now bleeding neck. I cover my mouth, watching him in fear.

He starts to laugh. "Did you just throw a fucking knife at me? Evan, it's over. It's done. I don't think  -  "

"Just wait for it ... " Evan chuckles.

"Wait for what, Evan? I've been waiting ... that's all I've done. I'm sorry."

That is when I see that Evan is slumped over, not moving at all. Suddenly, Vinny starts making gurgling noises.

"Evan!" He starts to throw up again. "Evan? Evan!"

Vinny is on the ground, retching blood into his hand. "What ... what did you do to me?" RealIzation hits then  -  He was cut with the god-killer. The weapon that can kill anything. "No ... you fuck... "

He starts to crawl toward Evan. It's then that I realize that it doesn't look like he's breathing.

"You ... listen ... to ... me ... I'm not a monster. I'm not a monster!  Okay ... okay ... listen ... We're not gonna die here. No fucking way ... this is what they want!"

Vinny pulls himself up against the tree and slumps beside Evan. Or ... should I say, Evan's body.

"Fuck, Evan. Damn it."

"Oh no ... " I breathe. They're ... no. They can't be. Evan can't die! That's the whole story right there. Evan cannot die.

"I don't know if we're monsters, or just a couple of unlucky bastards. I'm sorry ... " He closes his eyes. "I'm sorry ... " He stops moving then.

I feel my heart break as I sink to my knees in the mud. They're really gone. I've lost all of them ... they're all dead.