Amnesia: Vinny

The two of us are driving down the road, and I am listening to music loudly with Vinny driving and singing along to the song.

We aren't speeding or anything, but it feels like the world is blurring past us. Vinny and I went out for a date tonight and now, we're heading back home.

He turns the music down as the song ends.

"Y/ n, I had an awesome time tonight," he says.

"Me too," I say. "Thanks for everything."

"I think that's my line," he replies, smirking at me.

"Okay, maybe it is, but that doesn't mean I can't be thankful for you. For all of you. You guys mean the world to me," I say.

A car starts to speed toward us, and at the last second, it swerves and slams into our car. Then, everything goes black for a moment.

When I come to, I'm dangling against my seatbelt and blood pours down my face. I have no idea where I am or what has happened. I panic for a moment, and then, I pass out again.

....

Time passes, and I wake up in a hospital bed. I have no idea where I am, or even how I got there. When I look around, I see a guy sitting at the end of the bed. He is playing on his phone, and after a moment, he looks up.

"Y/ n, you're awake," he says.

"Where am I?" I ask.

"The hospital," he says. "You and Vinny were in a car accident. He's okay, but you've been out for a day. The drunk driver's in jail."

"Um, okay?"

He cocks his head. "What?"

"Are you my doctor?"

He looks confused. "No? It's me, y/n.  It's Evan."

"Am I supposed to know who that is?"

His face falls. "Y/ n, please don't joke."

"I'm not," I reply.

He goes still. A nurse comes in with a doctor and they check me out. The Evan guy talks to the doctor in the hall, and when they come back in, I know that they're upset. I am anxious. Did this Vinny guy die or something?

"Y/ n, do you know what state this is?"

"New Jersey," I say.

"And do you know where you are?"

"A hospital, though I can't seem to remember how I got here."

"What's the last thing you remember?" Evan asks.

"Aside from talking to you, not much. Just feelings. Happiness. Joy. Love. Then, pain, fear, and sadness. And cold blackness."

Over the course of the next several days, I find out that I have amnesia. The Vinny guy recovers from his injuries. But I don't remember him being my boyfriend. Or at all. But I've allegedly known him forever.

I don't remember his friends Jeff and Evan either.

And I don't know if I ever will.