No Rest for the Wicked: Habit

The first thing you should know about me is that I'm very weird. I like all things weird and creepy, and not only that, but I am a Pagan. Not that that makes anyone weird, but I feel like I should be given a warning label because those that "find out" about it, they act ... different.

I guess when you live in a place where the populace is mainly one religion, and you're found to be different, you're treated like a pariah.

I hate it.

I have known Evan, Jeff, and Vinny for a while now. We met at school and when we graduated and moved out of our old houses, I moved in not far from Evan's house.

I am currently sitting in the back porch of my house, and I can see Habit walking around, talking to Vinny and ordering him to take notes. I sigh and sit back against the wall behind me and I watch as the boys walk closer to me.

Habit stops and looks at me. "Vinny? You know what is really fucked up?"

"What?" he asks.

"People treating others like shit when they're different than them," Habit says. ''Kinda like how your friend treated y/n when she came here."

"I told you, my "friend" didn't mean to be rude," Vinny says.

Habit frowns. "Well. Tell your friend that next time she treats y/n like shit, I'm going to skin her alive."

Vinny pales and nods slowly.

"O - okay," he says.

Habit turns to me. "I want to talk to her in private."

Vinny nods and leaves.

Habit crouches down before me. "I want to tell you that I know it is hard being different than the people that surround you."

"Yeah, it is."

"But I want you to know that this is not the only way people think. The people who you're related to and the people who are different have no bearing on what you mean as a person. You are you because that is who you're made to be. So fuck them. But you know what else I have to say?"

I shake my head.

"They're gonna try to bring you down with all their negative talks and bullshit, but trust me when I say that you need to remember that you're being true to yourself even when they're lying about themselves."

"Habit? Can I ask you something?"

"Sure."

"Why are you being so nice to me?"

He shrugs. "There's no rest for the wicked. And I know what it's like to be treated like shit for no fucking reason. So don't worry too much about being "different" than the rest. As far as I am concerned, this whole thing about you being a different religion from them, and them treating you terribly in return is just fucked beyond belief."

He walks into the house, but then turns.

"Plus, I don't hate you, you runt."

He fluffs my hair like I am a child, then he walks into the house. I smile to myself and then resume reading.