Chapter 9

***
It's the most wonderful time of the year! At least that's what everyone says. Christmas day was always my favorite day. I always cooked a breakfast and we always spent the whole day with everyone. Maddie, Jonah, Jase, Marissa, Tae, Josh, Kane, Mike, Carrie, Isaiah, Jacob, Naomi, Hannah, and Jennifer. All the kids wore the same pajamas and so did the adults. We had started this the year the girls were born and it had stuck.

All us women were in the kitchen cooking pancakes and handing then out as we got them done.

"Got any blueberries?" Kane asks me. He looked just like Josh.

"Would it be a Wilder Records Christmas without them?" I say. He smiles as I plop two blueberry pancakes on his plate.

"That boy and his daddy are twins" Tae says in my ear as Josh comes along and asks for blueberry pancakes too. I laughed.

"So are we doing gifts when everyone's done eating?" Rocky asks me.

"Yes, ma'am" I say. She gives me a thumbs up and goes upstairs. Isaiah follows behind her. I didnt think much of it. I was so happy that we were all together and having fun like we always did. Even Hannah was smiling up a storm. Although, It had been months and she still hadn't stopped hooking up with her ex husband. I was worried about her, but I hoped that tour would help her see that it's not something she needs to continue. I wasnt going to let my worry get in the way, though. It was my favorite day of the whole year and nothing could change that.

***

We had finished up eating and finally sat down to open presents. Jase insisted that Ryne opened his first. He got her a necklace that has his name on it. She absolutely loved it. She got him a collection of guitar picks that had pictures of them. He loved getting new picks to use, so he was very appreciative of that gift. As time passed peopled opened up shirts and shoes and rings and necklaces and picture and new insturments. Naomi and Jennifer bought Hannah a brand new mandolin for their shows. She had been using the same one since they started writing together in 2015. She loved it. The only people who hadn't exchanged gifts were Ridge and Isaiah.

"I want to go last" Isaiah says. Ridge agrees and stands up to grab her guitar. She and Hannah decided that mandolin would be  good background instrument, but not lead. Hannah played mandolin for her.

"Baby, I've been trying for months to put the right words together to say to you, and I came up with this song. It's called 'Sparks Fly'. She then began to sing.

"The way you move is like a full on rainstorm
And I'm a house of cards
You're the kind of reckless that should send me running
But I kinda know that I won't get far

And you stood there in front of me just
Close enough to touch
Close enough to hope you couldn't see
What I was thinking of

Drop everything now
Meet me in the pouring rain
Kiss me on the sidewalk
Take away the pain
'Cause I see, sparks fly, whenever you smile

Get me with those green eyes, baby
As the lights go down
Gimme something that'll haunt me when you're not around
'Cause I see, sparks fly, whenever you smile

My mind forgets to remind me, your a bad idea
You touch me once and it's really something
You find I'm even better than you, imagined I would be
I'm on my guard for the rest of the world
But with you I know its no good
And I could wait patiently
But I really wish you would

Drop everything now
Meet me in the pouring rain
Kiss me on the sidewalk
Take away the pain
'Cause I see, sparks fly, whenever you smile