December 10- How They Met (2)

"Our other roommate is Nicholas Duval, apparently he transferred here for his sophomore year," Thad said.

Jeff paused. "Duval. Why does that name sound familiar?"

"Because you know everyone in Ohio?"

"No, it's like, you said it and I got this bad feeling."

The door opened before Jeff could elaborate. A boy entered, wearing a blazer that's shoulders were a little too broad. His hair was pulled into a ponytail at the nape of his neck. His skin was dark but his eyes were darker.

Jeff thought he was beautiful.

Thad's thoughts were clearly on a less gay track. "Hey, you're Nicholas, right? I'm Thad, this is Jeff."

He nodded to them. "I prefer Nick, if you don't mind."

"It's nice to meet you, Nick." Thad glanced over at Jeff. "Sorry about him, he gets nervous around pretty boys."

Jeff blushed. "You can't just say that!"

"But am I wrong?"

"Irrelevant," Jeff said, but his blush deepened all the same. "I'm trying to think of where I know your last name from."

Nick half-shrugged. "You probably know Jack. Or Hayden."

"Hayden! Yes!" Jeff exclaimed. The excitement quickly faded from his expression. "Wait, he was an asshole."

He laughed. "I'm glad you agree. How do you know him?"

"He got my sister pregnant, they were dating at the time, she was in college. My mom invited him for dinner and he said something about his brother being gay, he started to say the f-slur and my sister cut him off and told him to get out of our house. She never saw him again and ended up having a miscarriage."

Thad had a bewildered, sad look on his face. "Great story, Jeff. Real cheerful."

"What? He asked how I knew him!" Jeff defended.

Nick raised his hand. "I would be the gay half-brother," he said, making them laugh.