Twenty-three.

Cate's pov.

After dinner, I look around the house searching for Alison and I found her with the kids in their bedroom. They're talking and laughing together, I smile for their cuteness.

'What are you talking about?' I ask smiling and I sit on the bed next to Dashiell.

'Alison is so so so funny, mum!' Ignatius exclaims giggling.

'She's amazing!' Roman says smiling and making Alison blush.

'I'm just telling one of my misfortunes at work.' Alison says smiling and still blushing.

'I agree with them.' I say looking at Alison and smirking.

'Oh, shut up.' Alison says to me giggling.

'They're all right, I'm glad you're here Ali.' Dashiell says smiling.

'Ali? Did I miss something?' I look at both Dashiell and Alison.

'Nothing, we just had a little conversation before.' Alison says smiling.

'About...?' I ask curious.

'I won't tell you.' Alison says winking at Dashiell.

'I hate you.' I say pretending to be offended.

'Oh mum, she just gave me some advices.' Dashiel says rolling his eyes.

'Fine, I mind my own business.' I say raising my eyebrow.

Edith rests her head on Alison's chest and Alison wraps her between her arms. I look at them with a big smile on my face biting my lip. My eyes meet Alison's eyes and she smiles looking at me.

'If Edith loves Alison, she's the right person for you mum.' Dashiell says smiling and looking at them too.

'I know it.' I say smiling but my smile fades away as I remember about Edith's custody.

'Mum, what's up?' Roman asks.

'Mh... nothing important.' I say faking a smile, Alison looks at me worried.

'Instead, it seems important.... You know you can talk to us mum.' Dashiell says squeezing my hand.

I look at Edith who fell asleep in the meantime and I sigh, holding back the tears.

'Cate, it's okay... Talk with them.' Alison says trying to reassure me. I look at her and I nod, taking a deep breath.

'It's about Edith...' I say, some tears start to form in my eyes.

'Edith? What?' They say worried and looking at me.

'Your father... h-he wants Edith's custody... he want t-to... take her away.' I say, my voice already broken and tears fall down my cheeks.

The kids look at me completely shocked. I quickly wipe away my tears with my thumb.

'But... Why? Why only her?' Dashiell asks.

'Because you three are already mature enough and... you know Edith was adopted, he wants the full custody.' I say. Alison looks at me surprised not knowing about Edith's adoption.

'He can't do this... to Edith, to you... to us. This will destroy her life.' Dashiell says starting to become nervous.

'I know... But he's really determined about it so...' I say sighing.

'How can he be capable of doing it?' Dashiell says. 'I hate him, I fucking hate him!' He says raising his voice and standing up from the bed.

'Sweetheart, calm down please. To be angry won't solve anything.' I say making him sign to sit next to me again. He sits and I wrap my arm around him, he rests his head on my shoulder.