Twenty-five.

Cate's pov:

I arrive at the hospital and I ask to a nurse about Andrew. She leads me to the medical ward where he's admitted.

'The doctor will be here in a few minutes.' the nurse says.

'Thank you.' I say with a weak smile.

After some minutes the doctor comes closer to me.

'Andrew Upton's wife?' he asks.

'Yes, it's me. How is he?' I ask worried.

'He's in intensive care... He's in a coma.' he says.

'What? Will he be okay?' I ask shocked.

'I'm sorry, we can't know it. We can only wait... The crash was devastating and he has several wounds.' he says.

'Can I see him?' I say with tears in my eyes.

'Yes, but only in a few hours.' he politely answers.

'Thanks.' I say nodding.

He leaves and I sit on a chair still in shock. My phone buzzes, it's Alison.

'Allie?' I answer.

'Babe, what's the hospital?' she asks.

'The Langone hospital. Why? You're not coming here, are you? ' I say.

'I'll be there in some minutes.' she says and she hangs up without giving me the time to answer.

Some minutes after.

I'm still waiting and I can't stop crying, I feel so guilty...
I see Alison arriving and I reach her.

'He's in a coma.' I say with a broken voice.

I start to sob and she wraps me tightly between her arms.

'Shh, it's okay babe. I'm here with you now.' she whispers.

She wipes away my tears with her fingers and she kisses my forehead. She takes my hand and she makes me sit next to her.

'You didn't need to come here, baby...' I say.

'But I want to be with you and now I'm here.' she says squeezing my hand.

'How are the kids? Where are they?' I ask.

'The kids are fine, they're at home. Dashiell is taking care of them.' she says reassuring me.

'D-do they know about A-Andrew?' I ask worried.

'No, they don't. I thought the best thing was to hear it from you.' she says caressing my hand.

'Yeah... you're right.' I say. 'Allie?'

'Yes, babe?' she says looking at me.

'Thank you, I really appreciate it.' I say looking at her.

'It's the least I can do, don't thank me.' she says caressing my cheek.

'I love you.' I say and I rest my head on her shoulder.

'I love you too.' she says kissing my head and wrapping me with her arm.

A few hours later.

A nurse approaches me and Alison.

'Ma'am, now you can see him.' she says.

'Oh, okay. Thanks.' I say standing up.

'You have 15 minutes, if there's a problem call us.' the nurse says and I nod.

'Do you want to come?' I ask Alison.

'Don't worry, I'll wait here.' she sweetly says squeezing my hand.

I reach the door and I enter in the room, closing the door behind me.

I see Andrew attached to different machines and tears roll down my face, again.
I go closer to him and I sit next to his bed, carefully taking his hand.
This is all my fault...

'I'm so sorry...' I whisper. 'I-I did a horrible thing to you, you didn’t deserve to be betrayed like this. I feel like crap and I deserve to be in your place. I will never forgive myself. You did not deserve this, it is my fault that you behaved like that and now you are in this condition... It's my fucking fault.' I start to sob.

While I try to calm myself, the heart monitor goes crazy and I start to panic. I quickly leave the room and call the doctors.

A doctor and two nurses rush into the room.

'You have to wait here.' a nurse says and closes the door.

I look at the door terrified, trembling and with tears in my eyes, thinking about the worst.

I feel Alison's arms wrapping me and trying to reassure me. I hug her and hide my face on her chest, sobbing.

The minutes pass as if they were hours and I start to panic even more. The door opens and the doctor approaches us.

'I'm sorry...' he says disappointed. 'We did the possible.'

I look at him petrified. I can't move and I can't talk, I can't believe this is really happening...
It should have happened to me, I should have been in his place.

This is all my fault.

Hey people!
It’s been a long time since the last update, it’s a messy time and I don’t have enough time to write. The chapter is quite short, but in the next few days I will try to load other chapters. Thanks for the support.💓