Chapter 10 Pt. 4

Aiden nervously brushed the back of his neck with his shaky hand, and his eyes shifted quickly. "Well, the only other person that ever thought I was special was my grams." The corners of Aiden's mouth twitched a bit as he mumbled out his answer.

"Aiden, you are exceptional. To be a twin soul of what is the chosen one of Etheria is no small title. If you weren't important, I do not believe that Moloch would have stolen your soul, or that Astaroth has something for you." Selena turned and walked away from Aiden to sit once more, and while she walked away, she sharply asked him, "How is it to live as an orphan?" Her tone was cold as if the question in itself deserved not a notion of compassion.

Aiden's face hardened, the twitch left his lips, and with an incredulous tone he said, "Is it always customary for fairies to have such a disregard for human suffering or is it just what you do?"

Meridian's eyes grew into plates as she gasped, bringing her hands to her mouth. While she stood in mild amusement at her love's biting answer, her eyes cut toward Selena in anticipation of the wrath to follow. However, Selena did not offer such a response and opted for an ironic reaction.

"Aiden, I didn't take you to be as bold in your manner as some of your friends here." Selena carried a slight grin and appeared to be amused with his response.

"No, that isn't it, but I am dead to the family I had. The only family I had, and after having my soul stolen by a demon, I can't say that I feel that I have much else to lose at this point considering my circumstances. But I don't take kindly to such a biting tone regarding my upbringing." Aiden remained disgusted with the Queen, and she knew it.

As she sat, she brought her hand up to her chin as if in deep thought, disregarding Aiden's sarcasm. "Why Astaroth would have some kind of interest in you confounds me. She is a beautiful demoness who could have any being she wanted at any time, human or not. "Selena dropped her hand away from her chin, and she sharply cut her eyes to Aiden who still stood now aggravated in his company. "Aiden, have you had any strange dreams?"

Aiden's face changed to suspicion. Meridian caught the look on his face and set out to nudge him with her elbow. "Yes, yes, I did." He answered keeping his tone low. "I kept having the reoccurring dream that would only move forward with each time that I dreamt it. I thought it was merely my mother visiting me, but in one of the last dreams, I saw what I thought was Meridian and then it was some sort of monster saying I killed my mother."

Selena nodded with a look of recognition. "Yes, Astaroth loves to wear her subjects down through dreams. She was the one who was in your dream. Spirits and ghosts can also visit humans through dreams if they choose. She must have been trying to detract from your mother for some reason, or she is after something from you."