Chapter 23 Pt. 3

***

Aiden believed that the real Meridian was the demoness imposter pointing the sword at the actual Meridian because of Warrick in an opportunistic moment he seized.

Aiden rushed toward Astaroth. He appeared right in front of the demoness, shoving the actual Meridian away. Aiden turned and took Astaroth by the hand. They all turned to look at Meridian, who had momentarily collected herself from Aiden's shove. "Aiden, how did you arrived here? I left you behind."

"I don't know. I was asleep and I woke up, suddenly I was here." He looked at the hall of souls, where the angel nodded his head and smiled.

"Aiden, it's me! That is Astaroth, she stole the sword from me! It is me; she is the imposter!"

Astaroth snorted, are you going to believe her? A demon can't have the sword, step aside, Aiden, it is time for the imposter to be destroyed." She ripped the sword from Meridian.

Aiden hesitantly moved aside and looked to Warrick, who did not lift a finger to help what should be a demon helping another demon.

In a blink of an eye, Aiden looked down as Astaroth's wrist, the one that should bare the infinity mark, and it was not there. At that moment, he jumped in front of the angels' quartz sword, where Astaroth plunged the sword into Aiden's chest.

Meridian screamed, and her strained scream was audible through the rumble of the deteriorating castle, as the walls were on their last hold.

Still, she was in too much shock and horror to notice as she witnessed Astaroth plunge the sword into Aiden. He stepped back and fell to the ground. There was no cut, no blood or injury to his chest as Astaroth pulled the sword from his body.

Valefor and Ipos stopped their plotting to witness what transpired. Only in time, the fairy nymphs arrived inside the crumbling castle, while outside the other guides, fallen were still fighting the demons.

Astaroth, having realized what happened, screamed in terror. "What is happening to him!"

Meridian approached Aiden and reached out to take him by the hand, and when he tried to rest his hand in hers, it fell through her hand as if he was a ghost. His body was fading, and his voice grew distant.

"Meridian? What is happening?" Aiden examined his hands and then jumped up to hold her, and when his arms reached around her body, they fell right through her.

Warrick sure seemed to get more of what he wanted. He seized that moment of both Meridian and Aiden's distress and stole the sword from Astaroth's hand and raised it to strike Meridian.

Meridian instantly felt the rage that ensued her, the hurt and pain she felt for all Warrick did to her and the realm. The memory of all Aiden sacrificed for her surfaced. Her face scowled, her eyes darkened and all the doubt she ever had in herself, faded. No longer afraid, she was driven by a combination of love and rage for all that Warrick had done to her and her family.

She lunged toward Warrick, his eyes widened as he looked into her angry eyes, he was, for the first time, afraid. Meridian's eyes from the darkened colored slowly emerged a fire in her eyes, brightening up her beautiful green eyes. She opened her mouth and screamed a blood-curdling scream as she grabbed Warrick and lifted him into the air, throwing him into a wall and ripping the sword from his grasp.

The quarreling guides having heard her, already swarmed into the castle. All guides, Talon, the fairies, and the fallen took the site of the magnificence that played out in front of them, a sight that was indeed never seen.

There Meridian turned and locked her eyes on Astaroth, striking fear through her evil body. She ran, but when Meridian caught up to Astaroth, she plunged the sword through her chest.