☆81☆

Avery yelled in pure joy when they finally reached the crowded shopping centre. The traffic had been bad and the young girl had complained the whole way. With her arms swinging freely by her side, she skipped into the mall.

She looked absolutely adorable in her green sweatshirt and denim overalls with her hair falling down past her shoulder blades in two braids. A few parents cooed sweetly at her as they passed, waving to her and smiling when she happily waved back.

She began to pick up her pace, speeding ahead but Younghyun quickly pulled her back.

"You need to stay with us, Ave. Okay?" He scolded gently, holding her small hand in his much bigger one. She pouted cutely but eventually nodded and immediately stuck close to both Jae and Younghyun, skipping between them and bopping her head against their entwined hands. Jae chuckled at her antics as they walked to the first shop.

Mrs. Park had told them to let Avery choose some new clothes, so the first shop they were headed to was her favourite clothes store.

She grinned as she ran inside, barely waiting for the two adults to catch up.

Jae jogged behind her, keeping a close eye on the little redhead as she swivelled in and out and around racks full of brightly coloured clothes. Eventually she halted and stared at a jacket.

The bomber jacket was khaki green with a hot pink lining. There were iron-on patches adorning both sleeves and a painting of a peacock covering the entirety of the back panel. Avery stared at it in wonder, completely enthralled until Jae and Younghyun finally caught her up.

Jae instantly searched through the line of jackets, pulling out the tags and searching for the right one.

In time, he picked one out and held it out to his sister. She took it and put it on. Grinning, she span around in a daze; her arms were held out beside her like a windmill and her hair flew in every direction.

"It's pretty," she said to herself.

"Woah, woah," Jae eventually stopped her as he saw the dizziness start to kick in. She stared at him, still beaming from ear to ear though her focus drifted slightly.

Jae chuckled, "You like it?"

"Yeah yeah yeah!" Avery jumped up and down in excitement, "Can I get it? Pleaaasseeee Jae! Pleaaasseee Brian! I love it so much!"

She turned to the latter, who was leaning against a pillar and watching the two siblings. He smiled, "I don't see why not, Jae?"

The oldest looked between the two of them, speculating, "I tell you what, Younghyun and I will buy you this, because we all know you have way too many jackets," Avery feigned a guilty expression,  "And mama's money can get some jeans and a top, maybe. How about that?"

The little girl lit up, "Yeah! That'd be so cool!" She giggled and immediately skipped off again.

Avery swung her little bag in her hands while her two brothers held the bigger ones. She glanced between them, smiling. She wished that she could've known Jae for her whole life - she would've loved a brother when she was younger. But then, she thought, at least I have him now.

She hummed to herself as she walked between the two taller boys, swaying her head from side to side while lost in her own little world.

Suddenly a scornful laugh attracted her attention. She looked over and saw a pair of boys a bit older than her jeering at her. They puffed their chests out and started to approach her. With a start, she realised that Jae and Brian had moved slightly ahead, still thinking that she was between them.

She glanced at the pair of young boys, tilting her head down to get the stray strand of hair to hide her birthmark, but they'd already seen it.

"What happened to your face, kid? Are you a zombie?" They cackled, ignoring Avery's shaking lip and her tapping foot. She breathed out calmly to keep a hold of herself, before staring back up at them.

"No. It's my warlock mark, if you don't shut up, I'll turn you into a slug." She grinned internally after the idea had come from a tv show she'd been watching recently. From then on, she'd quite liked her mark and enjoyed imagining that it gave her powers that only she had.

The smaller boy stepped forward, reaching his arms out-

"Hey!"

Avery swivelled round and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw Brian and Jae running up to her.

Jae crouched by her side whilst Brian moved forward, towering above the two boys who still looked on in distaste. At some point, however, they recognised the two newcomers.

The taller of the two's eyes widened slightly, "H-Hey, I've seen you on TV..." he stumbled.

"And you should learn not to argue with people who are older than you. Get out of my sight and don't think about saying those things to people ever again." Younghyun seethed.

The smaller boy stepped forward, "I didn't even say anything, mate."

The glare from Younghyun's eyes could've turned them to stone, "Don't act so innocent. Where I live, disrespecting your elders would land you with a broken nose. And if you've seen us on TV, wouldn't that mean we have connections? So go away. Or there'll be trouble."

They finally scarpered. Younghyun stood up and brushed himself off - he couldn't resist letting the slight smirk creep through.

"What was that?"

The exclamation came from Jae, who had picked up the little girl and sat her on his shoulders. She sniffled a little and wiped her eyes, but looked happy enough.

"What was what?"

"You know we have no influence whatsoever," Jae laughed.

Younghyun tapped the side of his nose, smirking.

"But they don't know that."

Avery laughed, "Brian, that was so cool! They were scaredy cats!" She clapped joyfully.

Younghyun looked up at her and tickled her cheek with the end of one of her braids. She squirmed on Jae's shoulders, squealing loudly.

"Stop! Or I'll use my powers and turn you into a slug!" She pointed her finger at him, "Zap!"

Younghyun laughed, "No! Please don't! Help me!" He played along, running off through the shopping centre and leaving Jae to run behind him with Avery sitting high on his shoulders.

He hid among the crowd, weaving through them until he reached the bookshop. Turning around, he scanned for the pair.

"There he is! Get him Jae!"

Instead of running off again, Younghyun stayed put as Jae was forced to 'chase' him, Avery shouted orders from his shoulders, screaming in his ear. The two were pushing against the flow of people, making it even harder for Jae.

When they eventually reunited, the eldest pulled Avery from his aching shoulders, "Alright Ave, that's enough, how about we get some food?"

The little girl nodded and agreed enthusiastically, this time sticking close to the two boys despite her anticipation to eat. They pushed through the doors into the city centre, where there was a street lined with restaurants. Avery immediately pointed one out, tugging Jae behind her - who was followed by Younghyun - and they entered the cosy building, warming them from the cold.