6. Consequences be Damned

Song Recommendation: Midnight Love - girl in red

Six.

Marina.

"Did you know all this time? You didn't look too surprised when you saw Eryn and Arlo fighting." Syd replied as she squeezed a hand towel and wiped the blood from Ally's now healed neck.

I took that as a good sign and made sure Ally was comfortable on Eryn's bed. Being in her apartment was soothing, even when all I could think about is if Ally was going to make it through the night.

"Yes."

Syd stood up and set the towel back into the bowl of warm water. She looked around, stopping at a white violin that wasn't here the first time I visited.

"This isn't what I thought a vampire's house would look like," Syd replied, grazing her fingers against the wall that held the painting I first noticed.

"She likes art but doesn't really have any other personal belongings." The small talk was good for Syd at least. She didn't like to get emotional and I knew seeing Ally look as if she was ready for her funeral wasn't making it any better. It made things somewhat normal, even though our childhood best friend was turning into a vampire.

"How long do you think it'll take?" Syd asked, returning to Ally's side. She tucked her braid behind her ear pressed her fingers against Ally's neck.

"I think it's going to take longer than just us sitting here waiting, maybe you should go back to your apartment, see if Flynn is there," I replied, pulling up a blanket and covering Ally's body. I had no idea if she was cold, but it was the only thing I could do.

"What about you?"

"I'll make sure Ally is okay."

"You want to check on Eryn, don't you? How could you? The monster that did this to Ally is there with her."

"Eryn is probably straightening him out," I answered back. I walked over to Eryn's kitchen and washed my hands. I quickly splashed my face with water before returning back to Ally.

"Why do you have so much faith in her?" A slight tone of judgment resided in Syd's words. She had every right to have her opinion about me. I'm sure she wasn't too happy that I knew Eryn was a vampire this whole time.

"Because..." I trailed off, staring at the bathroom door. Eryn had it replaced, the lock was no longer broken and the wood no longer splintered, "the morning after we first met, I hurt myself by accident and she protected me. She told me to hide in the bathroom and if she broke in to give her that syringe I gave to Arlo."

Syd's eyes grew wide and shortly after understanding ebbed in her features She slumped down on Eryn's couch and riled through the magazines that were piled messily on Eryn's coffee table.

"You're not afraid?"

"Of what?" I asked incredulously. I looked at a book Eryn was reading. I opened a random page and looked through the book, noticing how some pages were creased due to them being folded doggy ear style.

"Of all of this! Of being around them, of their fangs and their demonic eyes. A vampire like Eryn killed Nerissa, Mari. How can you be okay with all of this?" Syd almost sounded afraid as she spoke. I knew this was a lot to take in all at once, especially since all we knew what that they were monsters.

I inhaled a deep breath and set the book down, "Have you looked Eryn in the eye when her eyes are like that? She was crying and stayed away from us. She doesn't want to hurt anyone. How could someone afraid to hurt others be a horrible person? She's trying so I'll give her the trust she deserves."