16. tension of the fin

SR: Kina - I feel empty

Sixteen.

Eryn.

"Do you think that's really why she showed up?" Sagan asked me as we made our way into the ballroom.

"It must've been, she didn't want to feel helpless," I replied, showing the two vampires at the door a copy of Chris' clan insignia. It was a ring, molded to shape the letter V and W intertwining with a gem in the middle.

I cringed at the fact that I was roped into their clan. I didn't want to be a part of anything. It was too restricting. They traveled a lot sure, but they were so domesticated. Vampires were meant to stay in groups of two or lower.

We stepped into the room and I looked around, taking in all the vampires that were in one place. I rarely saw so many together and I couldn't stifle the uneasiness that spread through my body. A thick band of tension hung in the room and I knew that everyone else was feeling the same thing.

Lucinda Price really had outdone herself.

Decorations hung from every surface; gold and white balloons taped from the chandelier. Tables and chairs were off to the side where little tags with clan names written on them were placed in front of every chair.

A makeshift dancefloor stood in the middle of the ballroom, in which only the younger vampires chose to dance. The older ones already took their seats or stood inelegantly while trying to conversate with others at the bar. The bar consisted of assorted alcohol and a customer beverage set that I'm sure had almost every type of blood on hand.

A group of vampires hovered by the exit as if they were debating on leaving or waiting for a reason for someone to leave.

It was obvious Lucinda put a lot of money into making these vampires as comfortable as possible. None of these pretty looking decorations did anything to dampen the animosity between the clans of Seattle.

I settled over at the bar with Sagan, pouring myself bourbon. I threw it back, repressing my concerns.

Marina wholly threw me off. I still was annoyed that Ami and Marina showed up. More for Marina than Ami. At least I knew no one would attack. But Marina... I didn't know how much I could stress the danger. If any of these vamps challenge the clan for Marina...

"Heads up, Wicked Witch is here," Sagan mumbled, using the personal nickname we had for Luce. Her eyes narrowed as her gaze coasted toward the entrance. She dipped her head and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, adjusting her body closer to mine.

"Ladies!" Lucinda's shrill voice called out, her haughty gaze settling over us, "I see the Three Musketeers are back."

I rolled my eyes, taking in the sight of Luce. She wore a too tight black sequin dress and her golden locks were clipped on her head to fall down in an intricate style. Her maroon cat-like eyes studied me intently, leaving a cold consistent chill on my lower back.

"I missed you," Luce smirked. She leaned forward and ran her long nails up my arm.

"Did you now?" I muttered, pulling my arm away and taking another sip. I ran the liquid over my tongue, letting it burn a bit before I swallowed.

Sagan propped her arm up, her cleavage all but spilling out next to me. A coy grin settled on her face. Her fingers ran down my arm and she set it on my hand.

I resisted the urge to pull away, knowing that Sagan wasn't only just touching me as a front. This was all for Luce.

"It must be lonely sometimes, Luce," Sagan started, "such a big property and no one to share it with. I'm sure Hadlee would've liked this."