63. Beginning of the End

sixty three

Eryn.

"So, you're telling me that you think Marina is here?" Lucinda asked, leaning against her desk. The contrast of her black pantsuit against her white desk unsettled me and I couldn't explain why. Lucinda spared no expense on this building, from the personal all-glass elevator we used to get to her office. On our way up here, each lab coat passed us like worker bees, unrelenting on their tasks. Not one paid attention to us as they went to their destination. It begged the question of what really was going on here.

We were all in her office at the lab, aside from Sagan who was busy taking down their security. There wasn't a window of opportunity for me to break off and find out for myself, so the next best thing was to ask Lucinda ourselves. We weren't going to get anywhere if we didn't just put all our cards on the table, or at least the cards we wanted Luce to see.

Hades chuckled dryly. She leaned against the wall farthest from Luce, her penetrative eyes unwavering as she talked. "It's not that we think that Marina is here, we know she's here."

Luce's eyes seemed to brighten up as Hades spoke. The corners of her crimson lips curved upward. "Ah, yes. Well, you can check this building every nook and cranny, she isn't here." She didn't seem uncomfortable in the slightest that her sire was sitting on a chair across from her. Chris was characteristically quiet, perhaps letting Hades and I do all the talking.

Waverly shook like a leaf next to me, her eyes flitting from Luce to every other person in the room. She looked as if she wanted to say something, but instead, she stared out the window, gazing at the water.

"Acutally, I think that's what the girls are going to do. And while they do so, we're going to have a talk," Chris' deep voice boomed through the office. He cast Hades a sideways glance, "would you prefer to stay here with Luce and I or go investigate?"

"You know, I don't think that's necessary," Lucinda stood up straight and folded her arms. "Why don't I show you around?"

Chris jumped to his feet slowly. He towered over Luce. "C'mon, you don't want to catch up Lucie? I'm sure there's a lot for us to talk about."

Hades laughed and shook her head. "Luce if you have something to hide, then you might as well tell us now. You didn't spare any expense for this place, did you?"

I slid my gaze to Hades and scowled. To be tapped into my head... she already used enough of her mental capabilities, how much more could she do?

Lucinda pressed her lips together in a hard line. "You have no idea about my life anymore, Hadlee. You'll find that what I'm doing here is going to change all our lives as we know it. If you want to check for yourself, by all means. The building is yours to wander."

Hades pushed herself off the wall and sauntered toward the exit. "That's exactly what Eryn and I are going to do."

"Leave the mermaid," Luce tipped her head at Waverly.

I stepped in front of Waverly, pushing her behind me. "Why?"

Chris directed his eyes over me and shook his head imperfectively. I bit my lip in thought. Now wasn't the time. We had Luce right where was wanted her. I could trust Chris to protect her. I turned to Waverly. "You're going to stay here with them—"

Waverly's bony fingers wrapped around my wrist. "Please don't leave me alone." Her wide-eyed gaze met mine, tears rimming her terror filled eyes.

Luce cackled humorlessly. "Is that why you're looking for Marina? Did she run away again because you took a bite out of her, Eryn? This is your new bloodbag?" She motioned her head at Waverly.