43. Despite Who I Am

SR: Joji - I'll See You in 40

Forty-Three.

Marina.

"Wait a minute, I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around this, if Sybil is your scion, that means—"

"Yeah, Sybil was the first vampire I sired. I started my own clan, and I'm sure you already know Sybil was the one who sired Eryn." Hades leaned forward a bit too close to the steering wheel as she peeked on her left, "There are no cars on your side, right?"

I knitted my brows together and glanced at my side.

"You don't drive too often, do you?" I asked, watching as Hades hesitantly pressed on the gas.

She drove forward and let out a sigh of relief as she turned.

"Why do you ask?"

"You forgot to turn your signal on."

"Listen, I'm not human, but that doesn't mean I'm perfect," Hades retorted. She brought her seat even closer to the steering wheel, at this point her knees now touched the bottom of the steering wheel. She was comically crumpled and it took all my self-control not to burst out laughing.

We were driving back to Queen Anne, Hades insisting that Lucinda was back here. We were all tracking her, and we would catch up to her eventually, wouldn't she make herself scarce by now? Or was she that confident that we wouldn't stop her?

"Anyways, what was I saying? Oh yeah, so when Sybil died, the sire connection transferred to me," Hades explained, "and Eryn, well she blames me for everything."

"Eryn can't feel that way just because you're Sybil's sire, can she?" I asked, "I'm my kingdom, my father hated his grandfather. It was only natural."

"Did you just call me a grandfather?"

"No! That's not what I meant," My eyes widened and I leaned forward, opening the glove compartment as I spoke, "I just think it's only natural that Eryn holds animosity toward you. Sybil and you were probably very close, right?"

"Sybil was my scion, of course, we were close. I created her, but it was more than just that. She was my lifelong companion, that woman died for me, just as much as I would've died for her," Hades sighed, taking a left turn near Elliot park.

"So why does Eryn say you killed her?" I pulled out a pair of Ray-Bans and lifted them to my face. The lenses were red and I looked in them for a moment before instantly putting them back.

"Ah..." Hades sucked in a sharp breath, "well, Eryn and I are more similar than she thinks. Demon blood is a nasty source for us to drink from. I don't lose my cool often, but I did for a time, and I did things that I regret. Sybil paid the price for my choices."

"What happened?" I lifted a brow as I pulled out a pair of leather gloves. They were worn at the edges and sown on the inside was thick velvet lining.

"You just don't quit, do you?" Hades chuckled, but her voice caught a bit.

"I like to know the whole story," I defended, putting back the sunglasses and the gloves, "I'm sick of all you vampires talking in some sort of code."

"I think you mean lesbian code; it makes us more interesting acting all mysterious you know. It's how I pulled your sister in," Hades smirked.

"That's gross, Hadlee."

I rolled my eyes and turned my gaze away. The mention of my sister sent a twinge of guilt through my stomach. The food wasn't sitting well anymore.