41. Cheesy Chances

SR: Billie Eilish - all the good girls go tohell

Forty-one.

"She said she needed time," I said, stepping off the corner of Dravus Street. For some reason Arlo was hiding around a college, probably getting kids to buy drugs off him when it was really his blood. He wouldn't stop with that shit before, no doubt he would stop now.

In his twisted mind, he thought it was the perfect tactic to lure in thralls to get him involved in beach parties nearby.

Sagan rolled her eyes.

"I didn't tag along for you to whine about your girlfriend."

"You're my best friend, Sage," I sighed, "I don't know, I just want to know if I'm acting crazy."

"Do you really want me to answer that?" She passed me an incredulous look.

I rolled my eyes stalking forward and shoving my hands in my pockets.

Then it was her turn to sigh.

"What did you tell her?" She asked me.

"I told her that I would try—"

"You're smothering her!" Sagan shouted behind me, jogging to match my long strides. "A lot of things changed for her. Her friend turned into a vampire; she probably can't ever return home. We had a hand in killing her sister, and you chew on her like some sort of squeaky toy. Get a grip, Eryn." She gripped my wrist tightly and her dewy eyes pierced through mine.

. "I know that I just don't know what's best for her." I dipped my head down and wet my lips.

"Just be there when she needs you, that's all. Understand that she is going through some hard shit. If you don't, Hades won't mind swooping her up. Think about it, she's a younger version of Nerissa."

I scoffed.

"Don't say it like that."

"You can't tell me that you didn't think about it." Sagan shook her head. Her eyes met mine and an expression of something I couldn't quite place appeared on her face. Despite how idiotic I was, Sagan was still here, by my side, listening to my petty problems. "You know I'm glad we're not together."

"What?"

"I wouldn't want to be your girlfriend. Having to deal with how selfishly you think? You want to have your cake and eat it too; it's always how you operate. You have to separate her blood from her." Sagan's eyes were like cold orbs of nothingness as she walked past me, "you're nothing but good looks and a good fuck."

My brows lifted. I was dumbfounded. I shook my head and chuckled. Good looks and a good fuck?

"Let's just find Arlo and get the Hell outta here."

Sagan stopped in front of a building, the front of SPU. I glanced at her, to her teardrop figure and her blonde short hair. I folded my arms. Her words... it bothered me more than I'd like to admit. Telling me that was like telling me I had no substance. I wasn't really like that. Nothing else to me but such...

Marina couldn't possibly think that of me as well. We shared our moments, bonded... did we? I cared about Marina and liked everything about her. She was so comfortable with herself, even when she was unsure. She didn't know anything about my world and she threw herself into it, not doubting me for a second.

And yet what did I give her in return? More heartache?

Getting her involved with vampire affairs.