4. there's no way you can say no

Song Recommendation: Crooked Colors - JustBreathe

four.

Marina.

She wanted to be near me.

Eryn was proof that not every vampire was evil. I peered down, realizing that if she was being this honest to me, it was time to be honest as well.

"Do you remember anything of last night?"

Eryn's red eyes began to fade away. The red was halfway and the grey grew in pigment by the second. I guess her bloodlust was leaving.

It saddened me to see her this way, especially after the lengths she went to protect me. Maybe not every vampire was terrible. At least Eryn wasn't. She brought me to her apartment and had multiple chances to kill me. If she wanted to hurt me, she would've done it.

Eryn shook her head, wincing as she drew her leg up. "Not really."

I sighed, feeling sheepish with what I was about to say. "When we were in your bed, my... song slipped out and you passed out immediately. I didn't mean to."

Eryn simpered. "So we didn't shag?"

I reddened, embarrassed that we didn't even do anything. "No, I guess I might've drank too much and—."

Eryn burst out laughing and dragged herself to the toilet. Suddenly, her body heaved and she emptied her stomach into the bowl. I cringed not knowing if I should pat her back or something. I saw in movies that the friend would hold their hair, but Eryn's hair didn't get in the way, it was too short.

I was also a bit leery to touch her.

"Are you okay?" I asked, gingerly touching her arm.

Eryn flinched, shoving herself as far she could get. "Remember what I said earlier."

I nodded, getting up slowly. I didn't know what to do. This was probably my queue to leave, but I didn't want to leave her sick like this. "Is it the silver?"

Eryn glanced at my hand for a moment before looking away. "Combination of everything. I ate human food, which I probably shouldn't have."

My eyes widened. I didn't know too much about vampires, but I did know that vampires born purebred could eat human food. Eryn had to be a turned vampire for food to get her sick. Their digestive system was dead. "You keep up human appearances?"

Eryn smiled but there was no humor in her eyes. "I guess I wanted to experience normalcy. It felt nice, see you cooking. It felt like a domesticated life, even if it was just for a few minutes."

Now it was my turn to laugh. A vampire enjoying a moment of normalcy? If I told any of my friends, they'd send me to the ward.

"I can't believe you're a vampire."

Eryn flushed the toilet and glanced at me. "I think its best if I take you home. It'd be the best for the both of us."

"Are you sure you're in any shape to drive? You're puking your guts and blood up. That can't be okay."

"I can heal quickly. I'm sure your friends are worried about you anyways. It's already going to be the afternoon."

I felt like this was the end of something. I knew she probably saw it as a one-night stand, but there was something about Eryn that made me want to know more about her. A vampire who lived a regular human life was something mermaids didn't get the chance to see every day.