42. Origins from the Underworld

SR: SPEECHLESS - Nightfall

Forty-Two.

Hades.

The Van'Devka clan wasn't the most luxurious pureblood clan in France, but for me, it was. The irony was almost painful really, living in a village that my family and I used to merrily pass through and paint it in the blood of their own.

Mother would've loved a town like this, with its farmland surrounding the manor. She would've gone to the farm first, slaughtering all the animals, and then make her way to the village church, however, eager to feast upon those who believe in one God, rather than believing in Yggdrasil. I never really cared for any of them.

I silently followed them, watching as they tore away lives one after another. The night of their slaughter still played fresh in my mind, one after another. My siblings burned at the stake. My parents beheaded and crowds celebrating their death. Perhaps they would have an anniversary, for when they killed the vampires that ravaged the country.

They'd worshipped the demise of a family.

The lord of Van'Devka was gracious enough to let me stay with them for a while, at least to think about what I was going to do next. He wanted me to stay with him in hopes that I would marry his son, an incompetent stocky man that was way too handsy. Van'Devka had a tendency to lay with their family members, it didn't really help their genes.

A bird walking past the manor could tell them that.

A creek resided in the middle of the village, where the lord of the manor used as our main water supply. I walked over the bridge, heading back toward the manor. I spent the better part of the day aimlessly wandering the village, getting familiar with the townsfolk. There wasn't anything interesting about this place and I constantly thought in the back of my mind how would I tear through this town. It wouldn't take long, and I'd probably start with the manor and give the villagers time to escape. They didn't seem like a bad bunch, but I couldn't be too sure. Humans were fickle creatures at most.

My eyes swept over the crops watching the serfs tend to the fields. I frowned, wondering why the lord bothered to have human servants in this way. They were treated poorly and were always going to be at the mercy of these vampires. I'm sure some of them were under their compulsion, forced to work until they died, literally.

I trudged my way to the manor, picking up my skirts uncomfortably. I never wore any of these garments before. I missed the feeling of bear fur and selkie scales against my skin. Times were changing, and technology was close behind it, forcing people to have opinions and societal views based on their monetary worth. Vampires weren't so eager to change with it, but the Van'Devka clan was happy to oblige.

"Master Hupstanhope," I nodded, sweeping my gaze over the lanky vampire in front of me. He leaned against the doorframe of the manor, probably waiting for the lord as always.

"How are you, 'tis fine day, Lady Hadelynn?" He asked, an easy-going smile on his smooth wrinkleless face.

"I could be better," I replied, passing him and entering the manor.

Shouts were instantly heard and I sighed, wondering what it could be this time. I walked carefully around the rooms and frowned when I saw the lord's son, yelling at a serf. She looked to be in her early twenties, with matted braided hair wrapped around her head. She had a heart-shaped face, but a jaw as blunt as my speech. She was beautiful, but not an overwhelming beauty. Her beauty was silent and strong, one that took away my breath as I stared.