15. Don't give up on me

SR: Juice Wrld - Lucid Dreams

Fifteen.

Eryn.

"What's wrong? Is it because you're scared to be with a girl?" Marina yelled at me, tears welling in her eyes, "is it too hard for you?"

My eyes widened. Was she joking?

I shook my head, a smirk twisting the edges of my mouth.

"Princess," I drawled, her naivete driving me wild, "it isn't about you being a girl."

I stalked forward and caught a pink strand of her hair.

I curled it around my finger and then tucked it behind her ear. She backed up against the wall and I couldn't help but pin her there. It was my nature. I slammed my hand beside her head and she flinched, looking away from me.

"Then what is it?" she asked, her wide eyes looking at my lips for a brief moment. She kept tearing her gaze away, her heartbeat pounding loudly.

I sucked in a breath when her lips parted, a zing of longing soared throughout my body. My teeth sharpened and my eyes illuminated. I shoved my face in the spot between her neck and shoulder. The sandalwood scent that she emanated assaulted my nose and it took all of me not to sink my fangs into her pulsating jugular. I could hear the blood rushing through her veins. I ran my tongue along her jugular, loving the feel of its beat to the rhythm of her heart.

I raised my head slightly, my lips grazing her earlobe.

"It's because you turn me on so much, I can't fucking think. You invade all my senses and break all of my control." My tongue snaked out and licked the back of her ear, a shiver rolling through me as my fangs brushed against her sun-kissed neck.

It took all of me to deny myself. Painfully, I dragged my mouth away from her neck. I was nearly salivating at the thought of sinking my fangs into her. She didn't dare move as I pulled away.

The look of pure horror on her face was enough to keep me reeling. It broke my heart to see her so fearful of me. I hurt her and I made her shrink away from me. There was no going back to that. I knew all too well how mermaids felt about vampires.

Tears began to well in my eyes and I cursed myself at being so weak. I'd spent years gaining the control I needed to make sure I didn't hurt anyone again, and here I was associating myself with the very thing I had no control with. Here I was, the very thing that I let control me. I turned around, my back to her.

"I'm going to help save your friends. I suggest you leave after that. Ally will be safe with me."

There was no reply to her and I sharply exhaled, wiping my mind from the pain I felt. My emotions shut down.

The only thing I could do to protect her was not care.

↝↝↝.

Marina.

I was enraged. More with myself than I was with Eryn. I hated that I just clammed up right in front of her. I was putty in her hands and to see her so broken... Clear tears poured from her when she stared at me with those orbs of damnation. It unsettled me, but when her resolve broke, I couldn't do anything with it.

I wanted to jump into her arms and hug her, but I was frozen in place.

I sighed and watched her as she slowly walked off. I was useless. I could slap myself in the face right now. Why didn't I say something? Do something?