57. Bite Me

SR: Claudia - Finneas

Fifty Seven.

Hades.

"Lucinda is definitely in the city," Sagan answered, popping another bludcherry in her mouth. She managed to eat eight within the five minutes she was sitting on the bed. I tried not to watch as she tied the ninth bludcherry stem effortlessly and added it to her pile of knots. Blood infused cherries were if not the most genius idea. The mix of the bitterness and sweetness was perfect.

Green eyes met mine.

I matched Sagan's stare, not bothered that she caught me staring at her. I waited for her to pull her gaze away first and for a moment I thought she wasn't going to with how still and intense she stared.

She looked away first.

Sagan cast her head down, looking at the pile of papers stacked in front of her. She grabbed a handful of bludcherries, continuing her assault on them. Sagan was comfortable, immediately opting for the slinky cami and hot shorts as if we were on vacation. She sat cross-legged, sifting through the papers. I could hear a small intake of breath as she read the title on the front of the Manila folder. I hovered next to her quickly scanning over Arlo's file. I frowned and grabbed it, narrowly avoiding Sagan's effort in trying to yank it shut.

I took a step back and leaned against the far wall looking at the photo they had on file. "Where in Manhattan is Luce?" It was an old photo, one that wasn't too far off from what he looked like the last time I saw him. I kneaded my brows together. I couldn't feel his position in the sirebond anymore. It would feel like an unbalance for a while. I'm sure everyone else felt it here.

"No, a man-made island south from it. She has people going in and out of it every day. It's a huge building with lab coats coming in and out," Sagan replied. "I don't get how she keeps getting these elaborate militia's and laboratories." Her brows were furrowed and her mouth a hard line in thought as she read through the files. I frowned. Sagan was always so invested in this without question, even when there was no reason for her to be.

Eryn stood up straight. "Let's ask around, maybe the local night world knows what she's doing. Anything having to do with scientists isn't good. Especially with our blood."

"She just keeps breaking Consul laws left and right, huh?" I lifted my brow. Why was she such on a rampage? Her and I were around before the Consul was even a thing, so it wasn't unusual that she didn't care about their rules. She wasn't stable, this much was true, but she never would go great lengths like this. There had to be more to it.

"Not to mention how the clans feel," Chris murmured, sitting stiffly at the small desk in the corner of the room. He wasn't paying too much attention, only looking at his phone or the window. It was the first time he spoke in a while, but he made a good point.

Lucinda told humans about us. The clans wanted her blood just as much as the Demon Consul did. But it wouldn't just be her.

My eyes widened. "Chris... the vampire clans... they're after the Ward clan, aren't they?"

Chris lifted his gaze. His jaw was set. "Lance is taking care of it, they should be okay. He's interim quaestor, no trace of the Ward clan should be there."

"Why wouldn't they be? The clans wouldn't go after us because of Lucinda," Sagan scoffed.

Eryn sighed. "Yes, they would. The Ward clan is responsible for Lucinda, but we're guilty by association. Hell, we're a family Sagan."