23. Reunion

SR: Billie Eilish - everything I wanted

Twenty-Three.

Marina.

Eryn's tattooed arm trembled slightly. I dragged my eyes upwards, matching her stoic gaze. Her resolve broke slightly, a myriad of emotions plastering on her face. Hurt. Betrayal. Something else resided within in those steel eyes that I couldn't quite place.

She squeezed her eyes shut.

"Eryn," I breathed, trying to shrink my gills. I was halfway out of the water, not even in my human form yet.

My scales were raised.

"There are guards downstairs, if they hear us, they might come up here and hurt you," I whispered, my fin starting to twist, "please let me go."

Eryn loosened her grip, dropping her arm at her side. She ran a hand through her hair, backing up slightly. She paced like a lion trapped in captivity, prowling around with no escape.

I fell onto the ground roughly, pressing my hand to my throat. I scowled at her as I shifted out of my fin, yanking my legs apart. The scales slid into my skin and the tips of my fins shrank and formed into feet. The small fins on my forearms retracted, leaving my ears to shift last. My skin lightened, absorbing the blueish hue, and resuming its usual tan complexion.

I stood up and huffed out a breath. "I'm sorry."

Eryn glanced and looked away, her body slouching in response.

I widened my eyes. Huh? "Excuse me? Eryn? Are you not talking to me?"

"Glad to see you're okay. Should I call you, your highness?" Sarcasm dripped off her words like venom. Eryn's expression shifted, anger dancing in her eyes.

I clenched my fists, ignoring the impulse to yell at her. "I haven't seen you for a whole year and that's what you say to me?"

I was thinking about this moment for so long, it's going the complete opposite way of what I thought. Given, I didn't think I would see her captured—but I still didn't think it'd turn out like this.

"Marina you left us," she breathed as if she was holding that in for so long. Suddenly, all her expression left her face, only leaving a stoic one to remain.

"I didn't! Lance and I came he—"

Eryn whirled around to me, her eyes glowing red.

I took a breath in sharply, forgetting how horrifying her eyes could be. I stumbled backward, bumping into the wall.

"Don't you dare mention him!"

Tears welled in my eyes, and I chastised myself inwardly. I promised myself I wouldn't cry.

"I'm sorry, Eryn. I'm so sorry. I couldn't protect him," I pleaded, taking a step forward, "I never meant for him to die."

I choked on a sob and my hand involuntarily shot out, trying to take hers in mine. I didn't understand, but I had to touch her.

Eryn shook her head, and she yanked her hand away, creating further distance between us.

"He's isn't dead," she hissed, "I'm insulted you even thought he was."

I stiffened, my arms falling to my side. He... was alive? "He's okay?"

Eryn shook her head, "He's been in a coma for the better part of the year," she folded her arms. "He lost a limb, but—"