33. A Step Forward

SR: Bones UK - I'm Afraid of Americans

thirty-three.

Marina.

Hades looked at me intently, not moving an inch. A secretive smile spread on her face. She folded her arm, covering her two-sizes-too-short camisole. This one was different than the one from yesterday, with the laces on the front rather than the back.

While she stared at me, Eryn glared at her, putting her hand on my thigh. I looked down and noticed how firm her grip was. I so desperately wanted to know the history behind Hades and Eryn. She seemed to be so crass with Hades.

Lance sighed, moving around the Salisbury 'steak' in his place. Upon closer inspection, blood was infused into the steak, oozing out from its seasoned holes.

Everyone came together at Lance's food. He mentioned it was his own recipe given to the chef and thought about giving me the vegetarian option. I didn't even think he would remember that I told him I was. It was something that warmed my heart and made me feel like I truly belonged here.

He gathered us all up for dinner, trying to improve the mood of the estate. Even most of the agents were sitting in the other rooms, enjoying the meal. Dr. Brixton was also invited, watching every single one of us with awe.

I constantly forgot that he was human. Was he used to seeing so many vampires in one place? I sure as hell wasn't used to it like this.

"Are all the agents on the estate vampires?" I asked, wondering about how some would stare and others would ignore me. It made me wonder if some were staring because of my blood.

Chris raised his head slightly, picking up his wine glass and sipping something that was unmistakably blood. Nausea slightly rolled through me, but it was better than the blood bags. Chris set the glass down.

"They're all sorts of supernaturals. The Consul doesn't discriminate. Whoever applies and trains gets in. Everyone here—except Amelia, is in it."

Talking about everyone...

Sagan, whose presence was normally imposing in whatever room she was in—was surprisingly absent. I peered down the length of the table, double-checking just in case I somehow missed her.

Eryn must've noticed me looking around because she reassuringly squeezed my leg.

"Don't worry about that," she leaned over and whispered into my ear.

I nodded, trying to ease the beat of my heart when Eryn leaned closer to me. She was on the side where she bit my shoulder and it was hard to wipe the image on Eryn's face when she bit me.

I hated feeling this way, but it couldn't be avoided. Being raised to fear vampires, and seeing exactly what my father would describe unnerved me. I knew it wasn't Eryn's fault, that she tried to restrain herself, but couldn't stop thinking about it.

If only there was some sort of way Eryn could have more self-discipline.

Dr. Brixton cleared his throat.

"Hades, is it?"

"To you, it's Hadlee Parker," She replied, "I can hear your blubbering from all the way over here. Ask what you wanna ask, human." Hades tore into her steak, her fangs ripping apart the tender meat easily. A bit of blood dribbled down her chin and she licked it quickly, making sure that it didn't drip over the table. Her tongue was long and forked. My brows shot up.

Whoa.

She stared at me with an impish gaze as her tongues slide back into her mouth.

"I can also hear your thoughts."