Talk To Me

The next morning was awkward, for Wilfred at least, Scarlet felt right at home climbing into bed with him and waking up bright and early cooking him breakfast. Wilfred woke with crazy bed hair and crooked glasses that sat halfway off his face as she sat at the table, amazed at all the food. He hadn't gone to the grocery in days, yet in front of him was all the things he could only dream of. Scarlet swirled about the kitchen, making it her own. Pancakes stacked on fine China Wilfred forgot he had, fresh coffee in fancy mugs he thought he put in storage. Even the kitchen radio was alive playing softly to a lyricless station. The house felt more alive than ever with a womanly touch. He felt a bit uncomfortable-unsure if he should even be in the same space as Scarlet in fear he ruin it.

Scarlet had already set his plate full of food, his mug placed neatly to his right with another small plate of fruit, to his left were his fork and spoon plus a slice of toast. His mouth watered and his stomach told him to dig in, but like an obedient child, we waited for her to say it was okay.

"What? Don't like my cooking?" Scarlet asked, placing a hand on her hip and a smirk on her lip. Wilfred snapped his focus towards her with a wild look before shaking his head.

"No, no! I just...I've hadn't had a home-cooked breakfast in years. I've forgotten what it felt like is all." Wilfred reached for his mug and hummed in joy as the dark joy fell onto his taste buds and down his throat. It was the same blend he always had, but now it tasted a lot better. It tasted like it was prepared with love. So much love. When he had enough of his coffee and placed the mug back down and smiled wide. Scarlet was pleased with this and continued to set her own side of the table with her plate. After a while of eating, Wilfred cleared his throat to gather her attention, Scarlet perked up and smiled.

"Dear as much as I'm beyond thrilled to have you here with me. I have to ask, why are you here, aren't you suppose to be working with my brother?" Wilfred sat back in his chair with his mug trying muse down the wild nest on top of his head.

"I was on a busy call for Wonka. I finished it early and asked him if I could come up to see you before going back to England." Scarlet's smile never broke.

"Busy call?" Wilfred's eyebrows knotted. Wasn't his brother capable of handling his own busy without sending someone across the sea? You would think so with how massive his brand was.

"Nothing too complicated, just a simple trade of candies and sealing a deal." Scarlet hated lying to Wilfred more than anything. He meant way too much to her to simply lie in his face. However, she knew that she couldn't come clean about what she did. It would send him into a fatherly like panic of worry. As much as she loved someone caring and looking after her, she knew it was better to keep him a step behind her for the time being.

"He really is a child. I bet he still can't look anyone in the eye, he could barely answer anyone when we were younger. Instead, he caused problems." Wilfred chuckled at his memories of William getting in trouble at school because he refused to answer anyone except his brothers.

"Isn't that the truth." Scarlet laughed along, causing Wilfred to loosen up more. They made small talk, nothing too personal or essential to warrant Scarlet that he was on to her. The more Scarlet talked about random silly things, the more Wilfred could sit back and enjoy himself. During their conversation, he would catch himself slipping into 'what if's about Scarlet living with him. This could be their every day if only she moved back to the States. It would be lovely, like the good times when someone else kept the house alive with Wilfred. He was grateful for Henna even loving him, but he was even more thankful that he found Scarlet after a long rough patch in the middle.

"Are you listening to me?" Scarlet put down her fork and crossed her arms.

"No," Wilfred sighed and sat up, still trying to tame his wild fluffy curls that curtain his view. "I was being tempted by a siren that spoke about her explorations with my brother." Scarlet blushed and held up her table cloth to hide her face. Wilfred got up from his chair, walking the small distance between them to lower the cloth. "Don't hide now siren I've already stepped into the water, unlike the others I can swim." Both chuckled and leaned in for a kiss. This felt like home, a real home, between them normality was reached and everything was prepared and set. As they enjoyed their little moment together, a hard knock at the door pulled them away. Wilfred turned towards the entryway that connected the kitchen to the living room where the front door was. He panders who it could have been then realized he should have been getting ready for the day. Work still needed to be handle weather Scarlet waltzed in or not. He kissed Scarlet one last time and hurried up the stairs to make himself presentable for his client.