Chapter 32

The flash of light blinded Madam Li's eyes, she fumbled backward. When she regained her sight again, she found that her son had somehow broke out of her illusion spell. Not only that, you had broken the witch's enchantment. Which meant one thing, Namjoon no longer needed Madam Li's help and she could no longer use him as a puppet for future evil deeds. She cursed at herself, wondering how her black magic could have been broken so easily by a mere human. Then it dawned on her.

After enjoying his first kiss with you, Namjoon turned around to face his mother. He cleared his throat, and positioned you protectively behind him. The tenderness in his eyes faded as he laid eyes on the woman who had no intentions of being his mother in the first place. Standing behind him, you could feel the coldness of his gaze. His body was tense, as if he was preparing for some sort of battle. You held his hand, a sign to tell him that he's not alone in this. He did feel more at ease with your gestured, but kept his posture tall and strong.

Fear was not in Madam Li's dictionary, it was something that other people felt towards her, not the other way around. She was used to servants quiver at the sound of her voice, and guards freezing if anyone dared to make eye contact. And if anyone had the courage to stand up to her, she would simply have them executed and move on with her day. That was the life she was used to, the life she deserves. Normally, Madam Li would not give a second thought to have her guards drag Namjoon and you away for her to kill you herself. But something inside her made her stop.

It was not the motherly bond she had for Namjoon, or any sympathy. No, she was incapable of that. It was fear, it was the numbness of her body as she stared deeply in Namjoon's ember eyes. He was melting her. She felt that gaze once before, when she caught her husband and sister escaping and when he held that dagger to her husband's heart. Her sister went mad, unleashing a powerful aura that knocked Madam Li's down to her knees. It was the same aura Namjoon was radiating right now. It would be an understatement to say he's upset.

"Son," she began. "I-I can explain."

Namjoon marched forward, "Explain what?" he snapped. "That you would have let your own son die if I didn't agree to your demands? Or that you would break my heart with lies about Y/N? Tell me mother," he growled. "What can you explain?"

Even you were frightful of his demeanor, he was glowing, confident, strong. A prince. Madam Li blinked, backing up slowly until she reached a pillar. "I-I was never really going to do that. I was going to save you with the magic that I've learned of course. I love you, Namjoon. I am your mother after all." Sweat formed on her forehead and her headpiece swayed, illustrating the commotion she was feeling in her mind. Everything was starting to slip away, everything that she had worked so hard to build.

"You have no love in your body," he laughed soundlessly. "You do not deserve this palace or this city. Our ancestors would have been disappointed in you."

"You wouldn't know what our ancestors want." she retorted, feeling her strength coming back. It seemed that she had given up on trying to please him, "I sacrifice everything for my city. My people are happy and thriving."

"Your people are dying!" Namjoon yelled. "You do not get to play God here."

"I am God." Madam Li recited, "They should be grateful that I allowed them to live in this prosperous city."

"Your prosperous city is about to be invaded by the army of the Sacred Skies, led by Commander Jeon. I cannot guarantee your safety."

"How do you know that?" she asked. She had specifically ordered all the guards and maids in the palace to keep quiet about the army force outside so that it wouldn't raise any suspicions.

"I can sense them." he answered earnestly. "I feel the gallops of their horses and the cry of their men. I guess that's a side effect of the magic in my blood." Something in his voice showed remorse, regret too perhaps. As if being magical was never something he wanted. "You will surrender your city," he continued. "I will not tolerate the suffering of your citizens anymore."

"Won't tolerate this?" the madam repeated bitterly. "You don't have that authority."

Namjoon cocked his eyebrows, "I think your minister would say otherwise."

"What are you going to do?" Madam Li asked, shrinking in her place. Namjoon's power was too immensed for her to take on. Never would you have thought Namjoon could harness the courage to say something like this to anyone. It wasn't ego, it was boldness, something he had always had but circumstances had forced him to hide it away. He was truly the person he's meant to be right now.

"I will take over your throne as the prince of SilverStone. You will no longer have any jurisdiction in these walls." he declared, his head held high.

"And you'll kill me?" she challenged.

"Of course not. I think I'll have my aunt decide your fate. It's the least I could do for her." Namjoon answered.

Madam Li sighed, her head hung low. "As you wish, Your Highness." Her words were still just as mellow as before to Namjoon, but he could now separate sweet dreams from the truth. He kept his guard up as he turned around to reunite with you. His face changed completely as he got closer, anticipating you in his arms. You waited patiently for him to approach. But something caught your eyes.

A blade was raised.